Chapter 9: Eat

Everybody dreaded what was about to happen. It was almost like someone had kicked a cute puppy in the face.

"Lulu?" Harper said. Harper couldn't believe it.

"It can't be you. I still haven't said sorry. I'm sorry if you're mad at me. I deserve it, but don't leave. Don't leave me. Not you too," said Harper crying. Finally she leaned down and hugged what was left of Lucy, making everyone else feel worse than they already did.

"Levi, we had a group of abnormal Titans come at us. We were able to kill them but not before one of them bit Lucy," Hanji told Levi.

"Dammit, those filthy beasts," he said.

"Harper, come on. We have to get Lucy on the wagon and take her home," said Erwin, trying to remove the girl from Lucy. But Harper didn't want to let go until finally Levi grabbed Harper by the arm and ripped her away from Lucy making Harper cry even harder.

"Come on. Get yourself together," he said.

3 nights and 2 days was how long Harper stayed in her barrack. Armin, Eren, Mikasa, and all the others tried to get her to come out and eat something or at least give them a sign that she was alright but nothing.

"Heichou, Harper still isn't coming out," Armin told Levi the 3rd day during lunch. Sighing, Levi put down his coffee and said to Armin, "Get me soup and put it down where i'm sitting." before walking out. Armin looked confused as to what the short captain was going to do but still Armin did as he was told. Hanji and Erwin just gave each other a look, concerned for the girl. Levi had been pretty harsh to her when he basically ripped her away from her only comfort source. Finally after a few minutes they heard someone yelling, "Put me down!!" and immediately the door open to reveal Levi carrying Harper like a sack of potatoes. Levi then proceeded to walk to the table where he was sitting just a few minutes ago and gently set Harper down before sitting down next to her. He pushed the soup towards her and said, "Eat." Harper just turned her head to the side, having no intention of eating the soup. Finally, Levi had had enough of the girl's attitude. He grabbed Harper's chin and turned her head, before shoving a spoonful of soup into her mouth. "Brat, you gotta eat. Lucy wouldn't want you to starve yourself, " he whispered to her. At the mention of Lucy, Harper stared at Levi before she began to cry. Levi just pulled the sad girl into a hug. Everyone at the table was so surprised. Hanji, Erwin, Petra, Oluo, Eld, Gunther, and even everyone else sitting close by stared with their mouths wide open as the usually emotionless Levi hugged the crying girl until he glared at all of them.

After Harper finished crying, she began to eat the soup, with tears still streaming silently down her cheeks, and Levi just continued to drinking his tea.

That night Levi was reading in his bed when he heard a knock on the door. "Who the fuck knocks this late at night," he angrily whispered. Opening the door, he looked down to see Harper standing there in her pajamas holding a blanket.

"Heichou Vi, I had a nightmare and," she quietly said," can I sleep with you?"

It was quiet so Levi was able to hear her. He was taken aback by the nickname and her request. Vi Heichou? Sleep with me? He thought. Finally he stepped aside and opened the door wider for her.

"Just for tonight," he said. Harper only nodded and quickly ran in and jumped in his bed. Levi just slid in next to her, still reading his book. After a few minutes he heard soft snoring and look down to see Harper asleep, snuggled into him. He couldn't help but stare at the girl who in a short amount of time managed to soften his stone heart.

The next morning she woke up with her hair all over her face. She almost began crying again at the fact that Lucy wasn't there anymore to help her. She would have to face everything alone again. She sat up and tried to braid her hair. She struggled until finally she grew annoyed and left it as it was.

"Here," she heard behind her. She almost jumped. She thought Levi had been asleep. She felt Levi run his fingers through her hair before finally braiding it. Having someone play with her hair almost made her want to go back to sleep but soon Levi finished and gently shoved her to get dressed.

"Come on, let's eat and then train," he said.