FOUR

Dawetha Courts

Christopher

           Finally, it's been five years since I ordered him to be killed. See, the reason he made it alive out of that chase is because I told the Royal Guard to chase him out of the city. I knew he would come back and now he's made his appearance as the vigilante. He has to be piping mad at the king, and I am sure he will attack him at some point in time.  Oh, finally, two of the biggest beginning steps of my plan have been accomplished. Now, all my efforts and exploits will have real results. However, nothing will be as satisfactory as seeing the king being killed by Andrew, anointing myself king, killing Andrew for treason, and sitting on the throne, the throne that was supposed to be his.

           With him being the "oldest", he was destined to inherit the throne, whereas I was that other prince who wasn't worth much as far as royalty goes. He was the special one, the oldest brother, the finest in the land. Andrew always kept to himself, and was quiet. He would go on errands into the city quite often, and he was always away from the castle. It was almost as if he didn't want to be there. I did him a favor, kicking him out of a place he never belonged.

         Everyone saw the good side of Andrew, and neglected to see what I saw.... the fact that he shouldn't be alive. It should be ME in that throne, not him.  He took away what was rightfully mine. 

The Queen took me in when i was a child, and raised me as her own, but my sister did not live with us. Gwendolyn was not accepted by the king, and for that I loathe him. 

The sun shines directly above, casting its rays against me and soaking plants in its light. Suddenly, I hear leaves rustling. It could just be an animal, but it sounds like footsteps, ones that should not be here. Mother is inside, and she is the only one who knows I come out here.

I bolt inside and say, "Gwendolyn, someone is coming."

She widens her eyes, and says, "The cellar, we can hide in there."

We exit the house from the backway, and open the cellar doors. We are gone before anyone sees us.

Abella

            I don't know who told the king about this place, but I haven't seen anything. I have followed the directions he gave me perfectly and the only thing I've seen is abandoned buildings. As I come to the end of a winding path, I see a bigger abandoned house. Wow, what a surprise. This house is different though, it has tilled soil with green sprouts shooting out of the ground. There is a worn path in the dirt leading up to the house. My brow creases at the conclusion of evidence in front of me, someone lives here. I absentmindedly feel for my dagger, and walk inside. There are random house items lying about, but they aren't covered in dust, they look like their use has been abruptly paused. Did someone hear me coming?

CHRISTOPHER

             Gwen and I hold our breath as the intruder walks in our house, causing the cellar ceiling to creak. After a few minutes, the creaking stops. I look at her and say, "I will check it out, stay here," she nods, and I open the cellar doors and climb out. I walk through the house, nothing was disturbed. This still isn't good, there are plenty of signs that we are here, and depending on who it was that just left, we may be in jeopardy. I walk to the front door, and open it, to find a woman walking away from our house. She turns at the sound of the door. It's Abella.

"Christopher? What are you doing here?"

"Abella...how nice to see you. I was just taking a stroll in the woods and found this place. I decided to stop here and rest."

"So then you don't know who has tilled this soil?" she says skeptically as she motions to the freshly planted sprouts.

"No, those were here when I came. I was intrigued by them as much as you," she eyes me cautiously, not sure whether or not to believe me.