SEVENTEEN

Christopher

I can see the look on his face... it looks exactly as I predicted it would. After a minute, I stop cringing, and give the signal. Arrows from my positioned men come flying in, and he is completely blindsided. I grin, and I can almost taste the victory on my tongue.

Black Knight

I struggle to see what's going on, and I am struck in the back with shooting pain once, and then again. I try to escape the arrows, but I can barely see. Another wave of pain strikes my back, my loose clothes now sticking to my torso. I see the blob I have identified as Christopher charging toward me, and I am struck in the face. I try to counteract him, but he predicts my every move. I ball my hand into a fist, and swing at him with everything I've got. I hit him, but I end up breaking my hand on his armor.

"Is that all you've got, Knight? I thought I trained you better than this."

He pulls his arm back, and I do the best I can to move out of the way, but the arrows embedded into my back severely hinder the process. He kicks me in the stomach, and I land on the ground, the arrows spiking me into another whole level of pain. I grit my teeth, and Christopher closes in.

Christopher

Ahh, this moment is nearly upon me. Finally, finally will I be able to rule what is mine. I pull a knife from my boot, and crouch next to the wounded Knight.

"How did it feel...to see those you loved suffer at your absence, then hear those same people fear your presence? How did it feel to be an outcast in your own home?  Before I end your legacy, I have just one question; how did it feel....to hear her scream at your name? In a swift motion, I take my knife and lodge it in his stomach, ending the Knight once and for all.

I turn to the arena of people before me and address my kingdom, "Ladies and Gentlemen, you decided to see us go head to head. This was how you decided to choose your next king. You have chosen well, and I promise, no one will ever be a victim of this evil shadow of a man again. I am Christopher, your king, promising to do whatever it takes to keep you safe."

Black Knight

At this moment, with him looming over at me, trying to tear me apart,claiming what he thinks is his, I remember what he took away from me. I remember all the pain, the suffering. I remember what I'm fighting for. The pain seems to fade, and I can feel the fury deep within me. There is an anomaly, a flaw in his plan. I see the crowd adjust its attention to me as I continue to fight. I feel my heart racing, muscles burning, and I leap onto my feet. My vision starts to clear, and I am finally awake. He snapped me out of his own trap. I don't even take a weapon, and I hit him with my broken hand. The one thing he didn't predict was that it is going to take more than arrows and a knife to stop me. I pull the knife from my torso, and set it on the ground.

I see the crowd adjust its attention to me as I continue to fight. It stings more than it should, but I don't care. I hit him again, and again, so fast he can't react. He can't predict; I broke the pattern, and I shut him down. I don't let up until he is cowering in self-defense, until he is on the ground. I suddenly pause, then take my good hand, and pull it back. I hit him in the face this time.

"That was for Abella."

I hit him again, this time harder.

"That was for Gwen."

One last time, I hit him, and he falls unconscious.

"And that was for me."