EPILOGUE

Black Knight

I look to the king, and he declares defeat. The crowd erupts, cheering and applauding my success. I however, am mortified. I became the monster, the one thing everyone said I was, the thing I knew I wasn't. I just proved to everyone that they were right, the Black Knight is the uncontrollable merciless beast. As I continue to attack myself, the sounds fade out, and my world falls into blackness.

~

Gwendolyn

He lays on his stomach while I bandage his wounds. He was unconscious from the blood loss, which turned in his favor since the pain of pulling the arrows out would have knocked him out anyway. As I finish the final bandage, Roran comes in with the water I asked for.

"Thank you Roran. You should get some sleep, he won't be awake until morning."

"I want to be there when he wakes up," he says as he fights a yawn.

"I will let you know when he's awake, I promise."

"You'll wake me?"

"Yes."

"Ok, don't forget."

"Good night, Roran."

As he walks away, I smile. These past few days have drawn the three of us together like family. How I wish we could stay this way. Before I get curled up in my bedroll, I kiss the Knight on his forehead, and whisper softly, "I know you think you crossed the line, but you did what you had to do."