FOURTEEN

King Jasper

Since Christopher is taking charge of this trial, I have lots of time to roam. I am not allowed to leave the castle, apparently. I could try to sneak out, but even if I could, what would I do? All of the people think I am a heartless madman thanks to my son. So here's to walking aimlessly around my castle.

When you live somewhere for so long, you can almost sense if something is out of place, and that feeling is rising in me. I get a bit nervous, but its probably nothing. Ever since Christopher started leaving for so long, I knew something wasn't right. I come to the end of the hallway, and turn the corner to find Christopher's sister.

Gwendolyn

I feel as if there is someone peering at me, so I turn, and there he is, the king himself. I stare for a minute, but I know I can't ruin the plans I have, so I turn the other way, and find the nearest passageway. Once I find it, I can't stop looking over my shoulder, expecting him to be there. I finally make it down to the dungeon, and run to Andrew.

"Gwen, are you alright?" I can hear the concern in his voice, and I'm sure he'll notice a quiver in mine, "The king saw me."

"Did he follow you?"

"No, but now I can't walk anywhere without looking over my shoulder."

He sets his hand on mine, and says, "I'm pretty sure you're safe. Did you hear anything about tomorrow's trial?"

"Yes, something about how it's going to be a commoner jury, and then a mother with a young boy walked in. She said something about him seeing and knowing something about you, and he wouldn't talk. He wasn't scared, and was determined to stay silent, about you anyway."

His eyes widen at the mention of the boy, "Was his name Roran?"

"Yes, it was."

He sighs, and rubs his forehead, "Well, at least the jury is city folk. It'll be easier to convince them, since they aren't under the direct influence of Christopher."

I give him the look and reply, "I think they are just as exposed to Christopher's deceit as his own court, so it probably won't be any easier to convince them."

"Good point."

All of a sudden, footsteps cut our conversation short, and I run into the corridor I entered through. I peek around the end of the wall, and see there is a tall figure next to a very short one. How dare they bring that boy down here!

"You realize that by not talking you are going to stay in here until the trial tomorrow," says a voice that I recognize. Christopher.

"Yes, and I'll stay down here for a long time! I'm not telling you anything, Prince Christopher."

The boy spits out his name, and Christopher puts him in a cell next to Andrew.

"I hope seeing your little friend down here with you makes you feel better. It's only going to get worse, dear brother."

The footsteps fade away, and I head back over to the prisoners. I walk into the middle of Andrew's apology, "-you've been very brave, but you didn't have to do this."

"Yes I did, because you are going to save us. I can't say anything that will keep you from doing that."

"Thank you for your confidence, Roran. Without you and Gwen, I wouldn't be here." He glances at me and smiles, and I can't help but smile back.