Prologue

Mt. Olympus, The Empire State Building

Mt. Olympus was quiet. Too quiet, in Zeus’s opinion. He could almost hear a drachma drop if he concentrated hard enough.

He paced the throne room, thinking hard to himself. His brother had Iris messaged him a few days ago saying there had been a stirring in Tartarus. That had happened only once before, when their father, Kronos, rose with the help of a demigod: Luke Castellan, son of Hermes.

And later that day, the Norse god All-father, Odin, had personally asked for a meeting.

Oh, yes, Zeus knew about the Norse gods. He was, in fact, on good terms with Odin’s son, Thor, the god of thunder. Almost all of the Olympians were on good terms with the Norse, except for few.

Because of his terms with Odin, that was also how Zeus knew of his adopted son, Loki.

There were footsteps behind him, and then a familiar voice spoke. “Lord Zeus.”

Zeus smiled, turning to face his friend. “All-father,” he greeted Odin warmly, stepping forward. “Welcome to Olympus.”

“As magnificent as always,” Odin replied, looking around and smiling. “It has recovered extremely well from the Titan and Giant Wars.”

Zeus smiled. “I believe you have to thank our young demigod architect for that,” he informed him. “Annabeth Chase, daughter of my daughter, Athena.”

Odin smiled. “I must indeed. “She is very talented to have accomplished all of this.” His smile vanished. “But I have news I believe you need to hear.”

Zeus nodded, folding his arms. “I am listening.”

Odin sighed. “Loki has escaped from Asgard.”

“What?” Zeus asked in shock, blinking. Few things could surprise the King of Olympus and the god of the skies. Apparently, the thought of Loki escaping from Asgard was one of them.

Odin nodded. “He has escaped, and I fear that I know where he is going.”

“Where?”

“He’s coming here. Manhattan is the current residence of his enemies, the ones who humiliated him.”

Zeus nodded thoughtfully. “I have heard of the Avengers. Your son, Thor. Isn’t he one of them?”

Odin nodded, looking into the hearth. Yes, he is. They fought Loki off once. Barely. But he can outthink them any day at any time.” He nodded. “Yes, he will go for them.”

Zeus shifted awkwardly. “All-father, something has happened in the realm of my brother.”

Odin raised his head. “Lord Poseidon?”

Zeus laughed, shaking his head. “After what his Cyclops son, Tyson, has accomplished, I’m surprised my brother still worries about attacks. No, it involves Hades.” He swallowed. “Two great beings have stirred in Tartarus. One is my father. The other is Mother Earth.”

Odin’s remaining eye widened. “Kronos and Gaea?” he breathed. “They’ll go for the demigods!”

Zeus nodded. “Specifically seven of them, one being my son in my Roman equivalent.” He looked down. “And there is little that we can do.”

Odin looked at his friend determinedly. “My people will be on the lookout for Loki. If we get a glimpse of what has been happening in Tartarus, you and your brothers shall be the first to know.”

Zeus smiled. “Thank you.”

The two gods bowed to each other, and then Odin was gone. Zeus sighed, looking down into the hearth, hating what he had to do now. He shifted forms, now dressed as himself, but still not quite himself. “Poseidon,” Jupiter called out. “Aphrodite, Athena, Hephaestus, Pluto, Mars!”

Almost instantly, the six Olympians appeared. Zeus took a shaky breath. “There is something you must know.”