Chapter One

Statue of Liberty, New York

Percy Jackson sighed, face palming. “Piper,” he started. “Why in Hades am I here again?”
A girl about sixteen poked her head around the gift shop door, her dark hair in braids with feathers in them. “Because I want someone else’s opinion on what I should get Jason,” Piper McLean replied. “Besides, you might find something on how the Statue was built so you can gie it to Annabeth.”

That got Percy inside the gift shop. “Did you bring enough money?”

Piper stopped, looking at him. “I thought you were bringing the money?”

“Oh, Styx,” Percy sighed.

Piper rolled her eyes. “Alright, let’s just look around. I’ll deal with the money problem.”

After a bit of looking, Percy finally settled on a DVD talking about how the Statue of Liberty was built, and Piper joined him at the register with a photo roll of the sky from at the top of both the Statue and the Empire State Building. Piper took the DVD and winked at Percy, then walked up to an elderly lady. “Excuse me, miss?” she asked, pouring out her charmspeak. “Could you please pay for these? My brother and I are getting these four our mom, since she’s in the hospital recovering from cancer right now.”

A few minutes later, Piper led Percy out of the store, handing him the DVD. “Boom.”

“Remind me to never piss you off, Piper.”

Piper punched him in the arm as they walked through the park, smirking. “Oh, you know you love me.”

Percy narrowed his eyes. “Sorry, Annabeth’s for me.”

Piper sighed dramatically. “I tried, Mother.”

Percy burst out laughing, followed by Piper. Then they heard the shouting: “Where did they go?”

“Styx,” Percy cursed, putting the bags they had into his backpack. “Here we go.”

He grabbed Piper’s arm, and they took off through the crowd. “Out of the way!” Piper screamed, her charmspeak making an instant pathway. They ran as fast as their legs could take them, which was pretty fast considering all they had been through the previous months. Security officers were shouting behind them, and were probably screaming for the police, but Percy didn’t concentrate on them. He just concentrated on running. “Just like Greece and Rome all over again,” he panted.

“Percy, STOP!” Piper screamed.

Percy skidded to a stop before he even thought. He looked up, and his eyes widened. “What the Hades?” he yelled, pulling Piper behind him.

The Hudson River exploded, and from out of the water rose a familiar monster. “Hydra!” Piper yelped.