it's a romeo and juliet kind of story (minus the traumatic deaths)

J O S H

"Come on Josh, don't you wanna come?" My younger sister, Riley, nagged as her boyfriend Lucas hung by her side.

"I'm not crashing a party, Riley," I announced, "we'd get in so much trouble.  Mom and dad would kill us."

"No they wouldn't," Riley smirked, "cause it's the Hunter's party."

My family hated the Hunters.  Ever since my dad and Shawn Hunter got into some huge fight in high school they haven't talked since, and it didn't help that they both became business rivals.  Which basically meant they weren't allowed to talk to us and we weren't allowed to talk to them.  One time Riley got assigned to do an assignment with their daughter, Maya, and both Shawn and my dad complained to the school so much that their schedules were both entirely changed so they wouldn't have any classes together.  Of course, rumor had it that Maya wasn't Shawn's actual daughter, and she was just his wife's kid from a previous marriage or something, but he sure did treat her like a daughter.

I groaned, "What if they catch us?"

"It's a black and white masquerade birthday party.  It's like they're asking for it," Lucas chuckled.

I sighed in defeat, "I'll go, but I'm not crashing."

"Deal," Riley and Lucas said in synch, and headed off to get ready.

---

M A Y A

"Mom, I don't need a boyfriend," I complained, "I'm 16."

My mother groaned, "You're 17 today, and come on, Maya! I had a boyfriend when I was 14.  Girls your age either have or have had boyfriends, and you don't have either of those things."

I sighed and took a seat on my bed, "Well I don't wanna find a boyfriend at a party you put together so I could find a boyfriend.  You say it's for my birthday, but we all know the real reason."

"Well, is it too much for me to want you to have a boyfriend? Or at least a friend, Maya?" My mother asked, throwing her hands up in the air, "I just want you to be happy, baby girl.  That's all I ever wanted."

I gave a sad smile, "You're right.  I should try to make some friends."

"That's my girl," my mother grinned, ruffling my hair, "now hurry on and get ready now."

"Okay," I forced a smile and she turned and walked out of my room.

---

J O S H

"Guys, are you sure about this? I mean this is someone's birthday party, isn't it kind of wrong?" I asked, looking around at all the masked guests. Riley and Lucas were standing with me at the front entrance, and a sea of people dressed in black and white surrounded us.

"Relax Josh," Lucas assured, "we're not gonna do any damage unless damage needs to be done.  Otherwise, we're just guests at a party."

I pursed my lips together, "Okay. I'm gonna walk around then."

"See ya," Riley called, leaving with Lucas.  I continued to walk around and make my way through the parade of masked people. Once I had gotten to the back doors,  I made my way to a pool area, which was pretty much empty besides for a few other guests who wanted to get out of the party.  I sat down at an empty pool chair and took out my phone.  It was 7:40.  About 4 more hours till I could go.