it makes me the happiest man on earth

I check my phone again.  The time was 7:15, and Josh was supposed to come home to our apartment 45 minutes ago.  I wasn't sure what his plans where for tonight, but I knew he was planning on taking me out, at least he was.  I couldn't help but get frustrated with him; this was the third time this week he had been planning on taking me out, but was too late. 

I groaned and made my way to our bedroom to get undressed and into some comfier clothes besides the skin tight black dress with matching stiletto heals.  I put on some old flannel pants and one of Josh's over sized t-shirts before stepping back out into our living room and switching on the TV. 

It wasn't till 30 minutes later when Josh came home from work, looking even more tired today than the last.  I could see the dark circles under his eyes from the long hours at the station and the way that his arms hung off his shoulders indicated that it hadn't been a very good day. "Hi," I said in a small voice. 

Josh's brows furrowed, "What are you doing dressed like that?  Don't you remember?  We're going out tonight." 

"Yeah," I said, standing up and placing a hand on his shoulder, "but you came home too late.  It's 8:30.  It's too late to go out for dinner now.  Besides, there's still leftovers from yesterday." 

"But," Josh protested, "we have to go out tonight.  There's no other way.  We have to do it tonight." 

I laughed, "Do what, Josh? Eat?  We do that every night.  We can just-" 

"No, Maya.  We can't just eat here.  We have to go out tonight.  It's a priority," Josh objected, trying to pull me into our bedroom, "come on, you gotta get ready." 

I stopped and let go of his hand, "Why is it a priority?" I asked, crossing my arms. 

Josh bit his lip, "I can't tell you." 

"Oh," I said, turning back towards the couch and walking away, "just like you can't tell me why you always get home so late." 

"Maya, you know it's because I have been..." 

"Working extra hours?" I finished the sentence for him, "so you can come home late?  If I have told you once, Josh, I have told you a million times.  We don't need to money.  So why do you do it?  So you can get away from me?  Because if that's the case, then why don't you just break up with me now?" 

"I've just had a lot on my plate lately.  That's all," Josh said frowning and taking my hands in his, "and if you please just let me take you out tonight, I can tell you everything there.  Just trust me." 

"Why can't you just tell me right now?" I asked, biting my lip. 

"You don't want me to do that," Josh said, pursing his lips.  

I raised my eyebrows, "Why not?" 

"You just don't.  Not here, and not now.  Let me take you out, Maya.  Please," Josh asked, taking his hand in mine, but I quickly pulled away. 

"I don't to go out with you right now, Josh," I confirmed, "just let me go to my room." I ran to the bedroom and slammed the door behind me before letting the tears fall.  I couldn't understand myself.  Why didn't I want to go out with him?  Haven't I been waiting for this for the past six weeks?

More importantly, what was he going to tell me?  Was he gonna break up with me?  Tell me he cheated on me or didn't love me anymore?  What if it was something I did?  Maybe he doesn't like living with me?  There were so many possibilities, but none of them made sense.  This was the only fight we had really had recently, and as far as I could tell, everything was going fine.