she's a fighter

;; slight continuation of my one shot, i want one.  this takes place about 6 years later.  it's kind of a lot of rucas, but also lot's of joshaya.  

L U C A S 

"Daddy?" I heard a voice call from the other side of the living room.  I looked up from my computer to see my 6 year old kids,  Aimee and Austin, with tears running down their faces and eyes wide open, "where's mommy?" 

I sighed and closed my computer and gestured for them to come closer to me.  Aimee ran across the room and jumped into my arms while Austin sat on the couch with me and leaned close against me, "Mommy is at the hospital right now," I answered.  

"Is she going to be okay?" Austin asked, "is she hurt? Is she sick?  Is the baby okay?" 

"Mommy and the baby are okay," I assured them.  Riley was 35 weeks pregnant with our third child, and so far the kids were obsessed with the baby, "but Auntie Maya is having her baby right now." 

"But Auntie Maya wasn't supposed to have her baby until after Mommy," Aimee frowned, "why didn't Auntie wait her turn, Daddy?" 

"It wasn't up to Auntie, princess," I answered, brushing the hair out of her hair, "the baby decided it wanted to come out right now, and Auntie Maya and Uncle Josh have no control over that." 

"Are they gonna be okay?" Austin asked, "Is Auntie and the baby gonna be okay?" 

What I wanted to say was yes.  I wanted to say that I knew they were both gonna be okay, and nothing would be wrong, but I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen.   Maya wasn't supposed to be due for another 11 weeks, but somehow this had happened. 

"I don't know," I answered, "all we can do is wait and see."  

Tears started running faster and faster down Aimee's face, "I don't want Auntie Maya to die, Daddy." 

"I know you don't, princess," I said, pulling her closer to me, "I don't want either of them to go."  I kissed her forehead and pulled Austin closer to us, "do you guys wanna pray?" 

"I will lead," Austin said, "God," he started, "we really need your help,"  Austin paused and thought for a second before continuing, "And we know we're not perfect people and we all make mistakes, but please, please let Auntie Maya be okay.  Please let Auntie Maya's baby be okay.  You don't even have to get me that new play truck I asked for.  I just want Auntie and the baby to be okay."  

I gave a sad smile to my kids as they lifted their heads from prayer, "I think it might be time for bed now." 

"No!" Austin protested, "we have to wait for Mommy."

"Yeah," Aimee agreed, "we gotta say goodnight to Mommy.  Mommy gets sad when we don't say goodnight to her, and I get sad when she doesn't tuck me in." 

"You guys," I bit my lip, "Mommy is busy right now.  She won't be home until late."  That was partly true, but I didn't actually know if she was going to be home at all tonight.  

"Please daddy," They begged, "please." 

"What if we call her on the phone?" I suggested, "would that work? I'm sure Mommy would want you two to go to bed soon."