Chapter 3: An Odd Companion

Sam grunted in his sleep. Something hard was digging into his back, it felt like a tree root.
When did I fall asleep beside a tree?

He cracked open one of his eyes and was met with the green leaves hanging on the branches of a tree. When he sat up he looked down behind him and sighed in annoyance. Sure enough, he had been sleeping on a tree root.

What he didn't understand was how he had gotten to this place in the first place? The last thing he remembered was running from the Black Riders with a tall man who had taken him and his friends captive.

Wait- Frodo!
Sam scrambled frantically to his feet, kicking up dirt in his desperate attempt to locate his friend. Gandalf had told him not to leave Frodo's side and look at what he'd done! Frodo was missing, and after searching the area he was in he found that Merry and Pippin were missing at well.

What am I going to do?
Sam gripped the sides of his head as tears as frustration filled his eyes. He was alone in a strange forest, he didn't know where any of his friends were or if they were in the hands of the Black Riders or the men who had captured them in Bree.

Speaking of that, what happened to my kidnapper?
Sam wondered as he began to slowly turn around in a circle. There was no sign of the tall man who had ran with him out of Bree when the Riders had attacked.

Had he been killed or was he out trying to find his missing companions? If so why hadn't he tied him up to make sure that he didn't run away?

He was nearly tempted to do it. Waiting around for a mysterious man whom he had seen fight off several armed men with nothing but his hands and a knife was not something he fancied doing.

I should just leave.
Sam took a few steps forward before coming to an abrupt stop.
But what if he comes back and follows me? Then he'll tie me up for sure!

Sam turned back to the tree he'd awoken by and started walking back towards it.
Maybe I'll just wait for him here. Then I can demand to know who he and his friends are and why they took us.

Sam paused as he came to the trunk of the tree and stared at the rough bark in exasperation.
What are you thinking Sam? He won't tell me anything! He'll probably just laugh and drag me into some forest and kill me.

Sam blinked and thunked his head against the tree.
I'm already in a forest.
Sam sighed and turned away from the tree. His mind had been made up, he wasn't going to stand around and wait to be killed. Not when Frodo was somewhere with some stranger who most likely wanted to kill him.

I'll try and find Frodo first, and if I come across the others I'll....
Sam felt despair creeping into his heart. What was he supposed to do? He wasn't a warrior! He didn't know how to use a sword and he certainly wasn't fierce or intimidating at all.

How was he supposed to rescue them? How was he even supposed to find them?

Sam clenched his hands into fists. He knew that his chances of finding his captive friends were slim, nearly impossible. But he refused to stand around and do nothing would only make him a traitor in his own eyes.

He'd rather the Black Riders kill him then even think about leaving his friends behind. Sam took a deep breath and started walking forward again. He noticed with slight annoyance that some wet leaves and grass were sticking to his feet at he walked.