Chapter 12: Unsettling Words

Elrond was standing just outside the north gate when Frodo and the others arrived. Elladan and Elrohir were leading the way with Aragorn and Boromir behind them, the hobbits remained close together while Legolas and Gimli followed at the end. Bilbo had decided to wait for them in his room to bring him news. Elrond had his back to them and appeared to be speaking with someone whom Frodo could not see.
"Who do you think it is Mr. Frodo?"
Sam whispered. Frodo shrugged in response. They would find out soon enough. When Elladan had mentioned someone bearing a message from Gandalf he had been unable to provide information on who brought it. What worried Frodo was how Gandalf was unable to come and speak with them himself, where was he and why couldn't he come?
I hope that this messenger has some answers.

The twins stopped before their father and dipped their heads in greeting.
"We have brought them adar." Elladan said.
Elrond turned to his sons and nodded.
"Thank you, you are dismissed."

The twins seemed reluctant to leave but they did not go against their father's orders. Briskly, they turned on their heels and made their way through the gate. Frodo watched them leave before bringing his attention back to Elrond, who was about to reveal the messenger.
"My friends," Elrond began, "I would like to introduce you to Radagast the Brown. He is a friend of Gandalf's and one of the five Istari who walk Middle Earth."

Frodo couldn't keep his eyes from widening in shock. Gandalf had told him about Radagast before, he hadn't ever expected to see him with his own eyes. Elrond stepped aside and allowed the others to see the messenger. He was like Gandalf in some ways, yet very different at the same time. He was cloaked in brown with a dark, grey beard that appeared to be longer than Gandalf's. He had a nervous look about him, as if he were expecting something to jump out and attack them at any moment. He clutched his staff tightly in one hand and in the other a rolled up parchment.

For a moment he simply stood and watched them. His sharp, yet somewhat skittish gaze, passed over each of them before returning to Elrond.
"Are you sure that this is all of them?" he asked.
What did he mean by all of them? Frodo exchanged a look with Sam who shrugged. Elrond answered the wizard in a calm, yet urgent voice.
"Yes Radagast they are all here, and all of them are anxious to hear what news you bring from Gandalf."

Before Radagst could reply Frodo stepped forward, "You have seen Gandalf then? He gave you that?" he nodded towards the parchment in Radagast's hand. He seemed surprised that Frodo had directly adressed him and soon his pale, blue eyes were staring straight into Frodo's. "You can tell many things about someone by their eyes," he murmured absently. Frodo's sharp hearing picked up the odd comment and he found himself shifting uncomfortably under the wizard's gaze. The others seemed to notice Frodo's discomfort (and though they were certain that Radagast meant them no harm) each one stood a little closer to Frodo, letting him know that they were near if he needed them.

After a brief moment Radagast blinked and Frodo felt his body relax.
What happened? What did he do to me?
Instead of an answer, all he recieved was what he could only describe as a warning.
"There is much fear in you young one, do not allow it to consume you or it will not only be your friends who are doomed."

Frodo's throat felt dry, and the Ring hanging around his neck seemed to increase in weight. He looked down at his feet and refused to look at the others. He didn't notice Radagast move on to the others, his gaze did not linger long on Sam and Pippin, though when he looked into Merry's eyes his gaze softened.
"You are in pain, do not hide it from the others, let them help you."

Merry's hand strayed to the arm that had been wounded by the Nazgûl, he rubbed it absently while his eyes stared straight ahead, unfocused and oblivious to what was around him. He was in pain, both in body and spirit. He didn't want Frodo and the others to know how he suffered, he didn't want them to worry. It wasn't their problem after all, it was his and his alone.