Chapter 9

Connie hadn't realised how serious the RTC had been until she realised that they were heading on to the motorway, and found two cars that had hit each other  at incredibly high speed. They were informed upon arriving that a passenger in one of the cars - a brunette woman who was around Connie's age - had died on impact, but the driver and their daughter were still trapped. The other car, that had been driving the wrong way down the motorway, had flown several metres into the air and had landed upside-down, skidding across the road and into the barrier. During this process, another car had been damaged by swerving to the side to avoid the skidding car, and this was carrying 5 passengers.

"So we need to prioritise," Iain began. "We've been informed that there a risk of a petrol leakage in one car, so we need to get the group out of there as soon as we can, just incase. We'll go for that one, so you think you want to help the father and his daughter?" Connie nodded, and Jacob went along with her. The two of them jogged over, and Connie noticed that he looked a little nervous.

"You're alright, aren't you?" She asked him, and he nodded.

"Yeah, man's been to tons of RTC's. Just don't think your paramedic has much faith in me."

"Ignore Iain - I have faith in you. Come on." The door had been badly bent, but Jacob managed to open it so that they were able to climb in. It was a large car, and Connie stepped in first, introducing herself and Jacob, and she immediately went to the back seat where the young girl was. She looked to be about ten or eleven, and Connie couldn't help but relate her to Grace, so instantly Connie made a friendship with her.
"Right, Jacob, she's a little tachycardic and we've got minimal output, but she's responsive and no apparent physical injuries." The two of them helped her out of the car, and since she was a little faint, she was given a blanket and was told to stay with one of the crew who looked after her. Connie spoke to her a little, and even managed to get a small smile out of the girl, and Jacob just watched on with a smile. He always did think that she'd make a wonderful mum one day.

"You're a natural," he commented as she joined him again, and she just chuckled, remembering one of the main reasons for her accompanying him on this trip - she wanted to find out a little more about him.

"Practice," she answered, so not to explicitly state that she had a daughter herself. "Have you got any-" she began, but realising that she didn't want to sound too forward. He just smiled at her, and raised his eyebrows, which told her immediately that his priorities hadn't changed from when they were younger - he'd always said that he wasn't interested in children of his own. After the pair of them had finished and resettled themselves, they turned back to their patient, who seemed to be in a far worse condition than expected.

"Father's got a long piece of metal impaled in his side - lost a lot of blood, and it feels as though it could have punctured the abdomen." Jacob spoke quietly so not to worry the father, but Connie heard his concern and looked at him. Jacob had already supplied the man with breathing apparatus, but there wasn't much more that they could do for him whilst he was still in the car.

"What do you want to do?" Connie asked, and Jacob looked at her, bewildered. Connie knew that he could deal with the responsibility, and if he made the wrong decision, she'd tell him, though she didn't know what to do herself at the moment.

"We can't move it - he'll bleed out without a doubt. We just have to get him out." Connie nodded, and unfastened the drivers seatbelt, causing him to inhale sharply as it moved across his stomach.

"Can you hear me?" Connie asked, and weakly, the man nodded. "Okay, well we're going to get you out, okay? It's going to hurt, but we can't remove this at the moment, so you have to be prepared to move with it. We'll take it slowly, okay?"