Chapter 12

He woke up in the morning expecting to find her still wrapped in his arms, but as he rolled over, he felt that the bed beside him was empty. He sighed - he had wanted her so badly after all the time that they'd spent apart, but he'd thought that she felt the same way. The evidence told him that obviously she regretted the actions of the previous night. As he moved his legs out of the side of the bed, and yawned whilst he began to pull on his trousers from the previous night, he heard laughter coming from downstairs, and smiled to himself as he heard Connie and her daughter having fun. He wanted nothing more than to be a part of their family, but he had always expected Connie to have her reservations.

"So, who was the man you brought home last night?" Jacob heard a young girl ask, once they'd stopped laughing. He smiled more - he hadn't even met her daughter yet but she was exactly like her mother - inquisitive. Jacob knew that she'd be firm and feisty, just like Connie always had been.

"Excuse me?" Connie asked "I have absolutely no idea what you're on about."

"Muuum," the girl whined, and Jacob could sense that Connie was grinning. "I know when you're lying! I'm not too young to understand anymore! Is he your boyfriend?"

"Would it matter to you if he was?" Connie asked, and that response took Jacob by surprise. She wasn't shutting down the idea immediately - in fact, she was seemingly quite open about it. Jacob wondered if she was asking for her daughters permission to be in a relationship, or if it was just a hypothetical. He hoped it was the former, but he knew that he had to prepare himself for the rejection. 

"It depends," was the answer from the girl. "Does he make good breakfast?" The second she asked that, Jacob and Connie both began to chuckle simultaneously, but neither of them knew that the other was smiling. Jacob remembered when he had tried to make Connie breakfast once before she had to go to work, and he was seconds away from causing a fire. The sausages came out like burnt, shrivelled-up chips, and the chips (or rather, what remained of them) had looked like thin strips of charcoal. Connie had made him promise to never try to make her breakfast again, and so he had, but that didn't stop him from attempting to make dinner on several occasions, which did seem to have a slightly better reputation. Jacob couldn't wait - he had been edging closer to the staircase ever since Connie had insinuated that she was open to the idea of a relationship, and now he was slowly making his way downstairs.

"His breakfasts may not be too brilliant," Connie answered. "But I can promise you that he is a wonderful man."

"If he makes you happy, mum, then I'm okay with it. So long as you still have time for me."

"Always, princess," Connie answered, and Jacob watched as she encased her daughter in a hug and kissed her head softly. Connie noticed Jacob stood by the doorway, and smiled at him softly, beckoning to join her and meet her daughter. The two were introduced, and Grace instantly threw her arms around his middle and began laughing. She made a couple of jokes about his apparently-non-existent culinary skills, before making her way upstairs to get herself ready for school.

"What a beautiful young girl," Jacob admired, and Connie nodded, watching her go. When she'd gotten upstairs, Connie turned back to Jacob and hung her arms loosely over his shoulders.

"Sorry I left you this morning," she whispered, and Jacob just smiled down at her softly. "I wanted to clean up our clothes before Grace came down. Honestly, in the excitement of it all, I forgot she was in bed."

"Man would've loved to wake up with you in his arms," he teased, and she just reached up, pecking his lips to show her apology.

"I am sorry, but I didn't want her to have to see that," Connie protested, and Jacob nodded in understanding.