Chapter One: The Lost Memory

It was a breezy day in the late summer of 2016.  An old man found himself walking a long narrow dirt road. He kept walking and walking, with no one to his left or to his right.

With every step, grains of sand sneaked into his old worn out shoes. His knees began to quake, and his feet felt as if they were bleeding – but even though every muscle in his body told him to stop moving, his heart told him that he was not there yet.

Listening to his heart, the old man kept walking and walking – suddenly his heart skipped a beat. He finally looked up from his feet and looked to the sky. He closed his eyes and allowed the sun to fill his face with the warmth of its luminance, and then he smiled as if he were saying thank you to someone watching over him in the sky. He turned his head to the left, and had his eyes follow the incline of the hill and found what he had been looking for – a grand oak tree, standing alone at the top of the hill. As if he hadn't been walking for miles, the old man made his way to the tree.

The breeze hit his skin, motivating him to move forward. The grass leaves hit his legs left to right, distracting him from the aching pain that he was feeling in his weak ankles. His hands shook not from the pain, but because he was nervous of what was in store for him.

The sun suddenly disappeared from his sight; he looked up and saw the quivering leaves of the tree above his head. They swayed with the wind as if they were happy to see an old friend. He circled around the tree in a slow stride while lightly touching the bark. The old man then stopped as his fingers felt the grooves of a familiar memory.

He gazed at where his fingers laid, and a tear fell from his eyes as a smile formed onto his face. The old man traced the letters "V.R." and "B.R.", with his unsteady fingers. His smile grew bigger and his tears fell harder as he traced the last letter – the deformed "R". The old man then closed his eyes and remembered.