Chapter Sixteen: Time Flew Us By

Three more months passed, and it was time for the big game.  Vincent and his teammates made it all the way to the State Championships undefeated.  It was the best season in the history of their school's baseball team, and the pressure was on all of their shoulders to win the pride for the town.

Vincent began his pregame preparation as he always did, with a jog.  The pressure of the Championships weighed on his shoulders so much that he felt like he was carrying the weight of the world.  Luckily, running always helped him clear his mind.

As he was passing his favorite tree, he just took a glance at it.  He didn't stop, he didn't gaze, or care that the leaves were growing back to give the tree the beauty that it had before – he just kept running.  Vincent ran against the wind that seemed to be pushing him back.  But just like the tree, he ignored it.  Vincent felt bad for abandoning the tree, but he knew he didn't need it anymore.  The void that Vincent felt all the time because of his lost memories, the tree was there to fill it – but now that he had Penelope, he didn't need the tree anymore.  With Penelope, Vincent believed that there was nothing more that he needed.

Three hours before the big game was about to start, Vincent found himself alone standing at the pitcher's mount.  He stood there looking at the empty stands, and imagined there was a crowd cheering the team to victory.  Images began running through his head of his four years of high school – it was hard for him to believe that in a few weeks, it would all be over.  Vincent thought about all the games he won and lost, all the assignments that he spent countless hours trying to complete, and he thought about all of the people that stood behind him – but most of all, he thought about Gel.

For more than twelve years, he and Gel have been the best of friends.  They spent every day together, talked every minute, and shared every moment – but now, there was nothing.  Vincent hasn't spoken to Gel in months, and he would be lying if he said he didn't miss her.  But what can he do?  Gel seems to not want anything to do with him anymore.

As Vincent stood on the mount day-dreaming, a voice called out to him.  He turned around hopefully, and saw that it was Benji.

            "Roberts!  Come on, Coach wants us."

When Vincent came close to Benji, Benji put his arm around Vincent's neck and gave him a noogie.

            "Can you believe it Roberts?  We're here."

            "It's unbelievable man...  Hey can I ask you something?"

            "Sure, what is it?"

            "How's Gel?  Has she said anything?"

            "I thought I told you that I won't be the middle man between you two?"

            "Right, sorry Benji...  But, is she happy?"

            "Yeah Roberts, she's happy...  And I don't know why you haven't done it already, but Roberts...  You need to just talk to her."

            "I've tried, but...  I think she hates me."

            "You know what I think?"

            "What?"

            "I think you should try again."

Vincent pondered on what Benji said; maybe he should try talking to her again.

They got to the locker room door, and the whole team was waiting along with their coach.  Vincent and Benji found an open spot by the wall, and stood there with their backs leaning against it.