Chapter Fifteen: Valentine's Day

Penelope was overwhelmed with the feeling of being nervous. It's going to be the first time she's meeting Vincent's father.

It was Valentine's Day, but it's also Vincent's dad's birthday. Vincent wanted to spend the day with Penelope, and he figured that it would be the perfect time for Penelope to meet his dad.

Unlike Penelope, Vincent wasn't nervous at all. He was somewhat excited. Vincent and Penelope have been together for almost six months, and he thought that it was about time that he introduced her to his dad.

Penelope felt as if her feet were carrying weights that were two hundred pounds each. She couldn't understand why she was so nervous. Even when she introduced Vincent to her own father, she wasn't nervous at all – and she should have been shaking in her shoes when she introduced Vincent to her father, because of the type of man he is. He's not a control freak, but he is very protective when it comes to her. However, when Vincent went to meet her father for the first time, he didn't seem nervous at all then either – considering that Penelope's father is Sergeant Major of the Army, most people are at least a little nervous before they meet him. But not Vincent, he was as calm as he always is. She didn't know whether to feel impressed or concerned.

The first time Vincent met Penelope's father was a few weeks ago, and it was an interesting encounter. Her father tried to intimidate Vincent by giving him a brooding face and tried to appear as if he were the Grim Reaper coming to collect Vincent's soul – but Vincent paid no mind to it.

"Good morning Sir. My name is Vincent Roberts, and it is an honor to meet you."

"Mr. Roberts... Who gave you permission to date my daughter?"

"With all due respect Sir, we are in a time now where people are free to make their own decisions. And I know for a fact Sir, that you have raised one of the best persons that this world has to offer."

Penelope's father took a moment to stare at Vincent with a scowl on his face, and then he shook Vincent's hand and gave him a warm smile. He admired Vincent's courage and somewhat modern version of respect.

"It's nice to meet you young man. I am Sergeant Major Pemberly, but you can call me Frank."

"Thank you Sir, but I think I prefer to call you 'Sir' if that's alright."

"I like this kid Penelope, you picked a good one. You seem like a nice kid Mr. Roberts."

"Thank you Sir. So... SMA? How long have you held that position for Sir?"

"Almost a year, I used to be a First Sergeant Technician, but they discharged that position back in August. Which is one of the reasons why I was stationed back here in town. Are you a military man, son?"

"No Sir. My father wanted to enlist because of what happened at the Pearl, but he had an auto shop accident that restricted the use of his left leg. Plus he's all I have left in this world, so the army rejected him."

"All that you have? You lost your mom kid?"

"Yes Sir."

"Sorry to hear that son. Are you thinking of enlisting yourself?"

"I cannot say yes or no to that Sir. But I can't say that I haven't thought about it."

Vincent and Penelope's father's first meeting was a success. The best that she could ever wish for, and it made her happy. She could only hope that when she meets Vincent's father, it would be the same.