Chapter Ten: The Turn Around

A few weeks have passed since Vincent and Penelope began going steady.  They have been the some of the best weeks of Vincent's life.

They walked hand in hand everywhere they went.  Whenever he walked her home, he would steal a kiss from time to time.

There were times where Vincent was able to convince Gel to spend time with him and with his new girlfriend, Penelope.  Gel had gotten so interested in applying to a college in another state, but nothing was definite yet.  Vincent tried to understand why she would go somewhere else, but was glad that she decided to just think about it.  He was sure that she would change her mind and stay near him, because they are best friends – but he was also hoping that she would stay, because he wouldn't know what he would do without her near him.

Vincent spent so much time worrying about Gel, that he didn't notice all of the scowls and eye rolls that Penelope made before it was too late.

Vincent had planned to take Gel out of town to watch a play, months ago.  Of course he hadn't expected to have a girlfriend when the time came, but it was the anniversary of when he and Gel became friends – though he didn't care about stupid things like that, he knew they meant something to Gel.

When Vincent brought up this event with Penelope, Vincent thought he would melt under the flaming gaze that Penelope was giving him.

            "You're taking Gel out of town?"

            "Yeah, just for the night to watch something."

            "Can I come?"

            "Well...  I only have tickets for me and Gel.  And it's kind of a friends' thing."

            "So, am I supposed to be okay with my boyfriend spending the night with another girl?"

            "We're not spending the night together.  I'm driving us home that same night.  And besides it's not just some random girl, it's just Gel."

            "Exactly!"

            "We're friends, nothing more."

            "Fine...  Then go!"

With those last words, Penelope took of Vincent's letter-man's jacket and threw it at his face.  After Vincent got over his shock, he went to chase after Penelope – but she was already gone.

Vincent rode his bike home his usual route, and stopped to look at the tree again.  Now all its leaves were gone, and its branches were sad and bare.  Vincent rested against his bike unsure of what was happening.  Why did Penelope get so upset?  Would she want him back if he tried?  Gel is his best friend, why didn't Penelope understand that?

Vincent finally got home, changed his clothes, and went to go pick up Gel.

On their way to the theater, Vincent did the best he could to hide his troubles and Gel didn't seem to notice the distress he was under – so he figured that he was doing a pretty good job at hiding it.  He could tell that Gel was really excited to see this play – or as she would correct him, musical.  Seeing as him and Gel are both Shakespeare fans, they were interested in how the creators would modernize 'The Taming of the Shrew".  "The Taming of the Shrew" is Gel's favorite Shakespeare play, and she loves musicals – when Vincent heard about this new musical "Kiss Me, Kate," he knew he had to get her to see this play.  Besides, he had to top her gift from last year.

Last year, Gel had this crazy idea that she called, "Ice-ball", it's not as dangerous as it sounds.  It's a game that Gel made up, where you play baseball in an ice-skating rink.