Chapter Eleven: Put on a Smile

Another month passed, and Vincent and Penelope couldn't be happier.  They spent a majority of their time together, and their relationship continued to grow more and more every day.  But, because their high school's baseball season is year round, there are days where Vincent couldn't be with Penelope.

When those days came around, Penelope found herself spending time with Gel as they waited around for Vincent to finish with either one of his games or with practice.  Over time, Penelope found herself another friend in Gel.

Gel was always nice to her; and whenever Penelope had doubts about Vincent, Gel was the one person that she knew she could go to because she's known Vincent the longest.

For Gel, she enjoyed getting to know Penelope.  Penelope was the only girl in school that considered Gel's existence.  Gel began to see why Vincent chose her: she's so kind, beautiful, smart, funny, but most of all she's beautiful.  Gel also learned that Penelope has had a really hard life.

Penelope lived in town years ago, but her parents split up when she was really young.  In the divorce settlement, her dad was granted full custody.  Her parents sold their house, Penelope moved with her dad, and Penelope's mom moved back in with her own mom.  Once in a while, Penelope's dad would let Penelope visit her mom.  But shortly after her parent's divorce, Penelope's mom passed away – and over time her grandmother passed away too, then there was no point in going back to town.

Because Penelope's dad works in the military she had to move, a lot.  Over the course of her life Penelope has been to at least ten different schools, and every time she's had to leave her friends behind.  She's lost so many friends, that she can't even remember what they look like.

Even though Penelope had many hardships, she tried to look on the bright side of everything – and also because she's lost so many friends over the years, she holds onto current relationships tightly.  Penelope also confessed to Gel that she was a bit jealous of her – not because Gel has known Vincent longer, but because they were able to hold on to their relationship or their friendship for so long.  Penelope wished more than anything to have had that opportunity.

Gel finally began to understand the type of person Penelope is, and she grew to appreciate all she's been through.  But Gel unintentionally gave Penelope the cold shoulder from time to time, because in a way she felt as if she were losing a best friend in Vincent.  Gel really did love the relationship that she had with Vincent; and now that he had Penelope, Gel couldn't help but feel abandoned.

One day when Vincent was at baseball practice, Gel and Penelope were watching him from the bleachers as they always do.  Gel began to have the feeling someone was staring at her.  She turned around over her left shoulder, then she scanned the horizon to her left; but no one was there.  As Gel turned her head to the right, she saw Penelope staring intently at her with a curious look on her face.

            "What is it Penelope?"

            "Why are your glasses so big?"

            "Because I can barely see without them."

            "Oh..."

Gel turned away and continued to watch the practice – but she still felt like someone was staring at her.  She looked at Penelope again, and found that Penelope was still staring at her.

            "Yes?"

            "Why do you always wear that hat Gel?"

            "I don't know...  I guess because I feel weird when I don't wear it."

            "Hmmm..."

Gel turned away again and tried to ignore the feeling as best as she could, but she couldn't help it.  Gel peeked the right using the corner of her eye and saw Penelope still staring at her.  It was as if Gel were sitting next to Vincent, they both just stare at her not telling her what they're really thinking until she gets upset.  Vincent was right, they really are meant to be.