Chapter Three: The Promise

Vincent ran into his kindergarten class excited to see Bean. He looked all around the classroom, but he couldn't see her anywhere. He continued to stand in the middle of the classroom, looking around the room for Bean– then someone began to approach him.

"Hello Vincent. How are you today?"

"Hi Mrs. Fields! Have you seen Bean?"

"Bean? You mean..."

"She said she's going to marry me!"

"Really? Vincent, you know that..."

Their conversation was cut short as soon as Vincent saw Bean walking through the door. He ran up to her and gave her a big smile. Mrs. Fields approached where they were standing and began conversing with Bean's dad.

Vincent drowned out their conversation. He was just too happy to see Bean.

"Hi Bean!"

"Hi Vinny."

"Why do you look sad?"

"I'm not."

"Oh..."

"Vinny, I need to tell you something..."

"You shouldn't be sad Bean! Today is Friday!"

"Okay Vinny. I won't be sad."

"Good!"

For the rest of the school day Vincent and Bean played together. They played tag, looked for lady bugs, raced each other on the playground, and giggled with one another during class time.

When it was time to go home, Bean's dad arrived first. Before Bean left with her dad, she turned around to give Vincent a big hug. She then whispered in his ear.

"I'm going to miss you Vinny."

"Why, where are you going?"

"Nowhere, I'll never leave you. I promise."

"Okay, I promise I'll never leave you too! I'll see you tomorrow Bean."

"Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise Bean!"

They pulled away from their hug and locked pinkies.

Vincent said goodbye one last time and Bean smiled, but it looked like water was covering her big green eyes.

A few minutes after Bean left, Vincent's dad came to pick him up.

"Hey Daddy!"

"Hey-ya Bud. How was school today?"

"It was fun. I got to play with Bean all day!"

"Really?"

"Yeah! I'm going to marry her Daddy!"

"You are?"

"Yeah! But when we get married, we'll only hug not kiss. Kissing is gross."

"Haha, okay Bud."

"Hey Daddy?"

"Yeah Bud?"

"Can we go to the store?"

"Why?"

"I want to get Bean a gift. She seemed really sad today."