Chapter Eight: A Plan Gone Array

Over the past few weeks Vincent and Penelope became very close. Vincent walked Penelope home almost every day and even ate lunch with her on occasion. Vincent grew happier and happier, and he began to feel his moment coming.

He was sitting in history class next to Gel as he always does, and they were passing notes as they always do – the last note that Vincent passed to Gel was asking for her help. Gel gave him a quirk-some look, and he returned her expression with a look of desperation.

Class was over and Vincent and Gel began walking to their next class together. Gel began the conversation with a concerned tone in her voice.

"What's wrong Vin?"

"You're a girl right?"

"I had no idea you were this slow..."

"That's not what I meant... I meant you know how girls think right?"

"Well, we don't all have one brain..."

"Come on Gel! Are you going to help me or not?!"

"You haven't told me what you need help with."

"Do you think Penelope likes me?"

"Oh... Why are you asking me?"

"Because, you're my best friend."

"Oh... Well, ummm... I don't know... Does she smile a lot?"

"I think so..."

"Does she laugh at all your jokes? Even the dumb ones, like I do?"

"Yeah, she loves my jokes."

"I see... Well, I think that the more important question is... Do you like her?"

"Well, yeah Gel... I do... I don't think I've met someone as incredible as her in my entire life."

"Well... There you have it. You like her, so it shouldn't matter if she likes you or not. If you like her, you need to take the risk."

"So, do you think I should take her out on a date?"

"Sure, that sounds like a good idea Vin. Where do you think you're going to take her?"

"I was thinking about that restaurant that you keep saying you want to go to..."

"You mean 'Aurora Hills'?"

"Yeah, that's the one! You think it's nice enough?"

"Yeah, it's beautiful there."

"Great! I'll ask her when I walk her home."

"You walk her home?"

"Yeah, almost every day for the past few weeks."

"Really?"

"Yup."

"That's nice..."

"Are you okay Gel?"

"Yeah, of course. I just have a lot on my mind,"

"Oh, anything I can help with?"

"No, nothing. But I hope you'll be happy."

"I already am Gel."

Vincent spent the rest of the school planning out every moment perfectly. He wanted to be sure that Penelope felt the same way about him first. So when he would be walking her home he'll start up a conversation very casually. Something like, "Did you read 'Romeo & Juliet' yet? Wasn't it strange how quickly they fell in love? No? Do you believe in love at first sight too?", or something like that.