Chapter 5: What now?

Chloe's POV

I was on the roof. It was freezing but I didn't care. I checked my phone for the time. 3:56 am. It hasn't even been 12 hours since mom told me bout her cancer but I couldn't even remember how happiness felt. I needed a way to remember. I bit my lip. I always do that. When I'm nervous. When I'm angry. When I'm sad. When I'm confused. When my whole life is falling to pieces. I think at this point it's more of a habit than anything. I pulled out my phone again and hit messages. I scrolled through my contacts, deciding who would be the best to talk to. My finger hovered over Paige but I knew she wouldn't wanna hear it. I wisely choose Josh. He knew about mom. Christi had told Kelly and she would have told the kids. I wonder if Paige would feel any sympathy. I doubt it. I texted Josh.

Chloe: Hey :( not feeling so great. Kinda could do with some sympathy. Reply when ur actually awake <3

I surprisingly got a reply immediately.

Josh: hey. I'm so sorry bout ur mom. But I guess that's not gonna help. I'll be over in 10. Now get the hell off your roof and go inside and get warm.

I giggled, slightly shocked he knew I was in the roof. I stood up and crawled back through the window. I crept out into the hallway and down to Clara's room. I peeked my head through the door. She was fast asleep, her cute little eyelids fluttering slightly. I quietly closed the door and walked back into the hallway. I silently opened mom and dad's door. Dad was snoring. Mom looked like she was having a bad sleep. But at least she was asleep. I tip toed back to my room. I took out my hair and brushed it out. I redid it, braiding a band around my head the curling the rest. I redid my makeup- this time with waterproof mascara. I didn't really know why I was getting all dressed up but I guess I just wanted to keep myself busy. I straightened out my top. I plonked down on my bed and picked up a magazine and as I was leafing through it I heard a little bang on my window. Then another. Then another. I got up and opened the window. Down on the ground was Josh, a couple of pebbles in his hand. He grinned up at me. I smiled back and went and got my rope from the closet. Me and Josh have used this system for years. 3 pebbles hit the window, I throw the rope. We mainly used to cheat on our homework together but it was different now. I tied one end to my window and I threw the other down to Josh. He sent a basket up first. I grabbed it and put it on my bed. Then he climbed up. I helped him through the window. After he had clambered in I jumped onto my bed. "So what's with the mysterious basket?" He smiled but didn't reply. Instead he opened the basket. He pulled out a container. Full of broccoli? He chucked it to me. I opened it up and popped one in my mouth. Next came out a movie. Bride Wars. Of course. Next was steak sandwiches and a bag of candy. Finally a hair bow? I gave him a confused look. "This was the bow you wore in your hair when You, Paige and I had our trio. I was shocked. "You kept it!" he nodded "Yep, ever since you gave it to me with a grin on your face. You hugged me and ran back to cuddle Paige." I smiled at the memory. I placed the bow on my bedside table. Josh popped the DVD into my player. I snuggled down on the bed and Josh joined me. We snacked on the food while we watched Liv and Emma battle it out for their date. I've never known why I like this movie so much but it represents a friendship I always thought was just like me and Paige's. Not any more. Towards the end I fell asleep, ending a perfect night.