Chapter 12: Competition part 2

I felt someone sit down beside me. I didn't look up from the program to see who it was. I was looking for the trio. It was meant to go on in two dances time. I turned on my phone and opened twitter. I took a selfie even though it was hardly visible in the auditoriums dim lighting. I typed in the caption,

Sitting in the audience waiting for my babes to come on. #youcanwintrio. Good luck girls! <3

Satisfied, I hit post. Maybe Paige will see that and think I actually cared. I started scrolling through my news feed as I waited for the next dance to start. I stopped on a picture Josh had posted. It was a picture of me taking a selfie. I read the caption,

Sitting next to this oblivious cookie. Her kissy face will never get old. <3

I looked up to see a grinning Josh sitting to my right. I squealed and jumped. Why didn't he make his presence obvious! That boy is an odd one. "Are you going to stare at me like I'm a ghost all night or am I gonna get a hug?" I rolled my eyes and hugged him, purposely squeezing him too tight. He chuckled and pried me off. The next dance started and from the very start it was obviously about cancer. It was a touchy subject for me and it's not pleasant to watch a dance on it. My mind started to fill with things about mom. Josh must if noticed because he grabbed my hand and pulled me close. I snuggled into his chest and let the tears fall down my face. The dancers themselves weren't all that good. They choreographer had good ideas, but they weren't very experienced with technique. The girls on the stage couldn't hit their tilts properly and one fell on their butt during their aerial. The other fell out of a turn combo I could do at the age of six. As meaningful as the dance was they weren't a threat. The audience clapped when they finished but neither me or Josh did. We just cuddled in the back row. "Now we have a junior trio from the Abby Lee Dance Company, please welcome Nia, Maddie and Paige with Shake It Up." The familiar theme song to one of my favorite shows started blaring through the speakers as three of my closest friends lept onto the stage. Well two of my closest friends- one hated the sight of me. I tapped my toe along to the beat as the girls owned that stage. Everything from the facials to the technique was amazing. As they ended the crowd of fans went wild. And this time I joined them. They were all fabulous. They deserved to win. I really hope they do.

It was almost awards time. The dances had finished and everyone had headed back to their dressing rooms. Josh and I were the last ones in the audience. He had fallen asleep with his head on my shoulder. I carefully stood up, removing his head from my shoulder and resting it on his own. I walked away, making a mental note to tell Kelly where he was. I turned on my phone and I was scrolling through my Instagram feed. I checked to comments on my latest photo. I had like a billion fans asking me about the competition. I saw one comment from someone claiming they were sitting in the audience with me just before. I clicked their profile and sure enough they had taken photos of me sitting in the audience. I read her bio which had her studio name in it. I looked on the program and saw that she had a solo against me tomorrow. Her name was Georgia and she was 13. I decided to go find her dressing room.

After about 20 minutes of searching through the hallways I found her studios room. I knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" A deep but feminine voice called from behind the door

"Um I'm after Georgia is she here?"

"That depends who's asking." Chirped another voice.

"It's Chloe. Chloe Lukasiak."

I heard a scream and a muffled voice before the door swung open. The girl that I recognized as Georgia came skipping towards me. "Hey Georgia! I saw your pictures of me in the audience. I also saw all your beautiful compliments. So I decided to come say hello. So hello!"

"Uh-um-wow-it's-omg heyyyyy!"

I laughed.

"Calm down I'm just an ordinary girl just like you. The only difference is my dance classes are filmed."

She laughed. "Hey do you think I could get some pictures?" I nodded and pulled out my phone as she ran to get hers. We took like a thousand pictures on both our phones. She set the pictures to her home and lock screen. I got a piece of paper and wrote 'I LOVE YOU GEORGIA!' on it. She took a picture and posted it on instagram. We then took a few pictures with all the team. I gave Georgia my number and after her little fan girl session she gave me hers. After a while I realized I had to go or I'd miss awards. After saying goodbye I ran off to our dressing room. "And where were you missy?" Brooke approached me, a look of mock concern on her face. "Um just talking to a competitor." She looked at me disbelievingly. As she waltzed away Nia called out, "In unrelated news anyone seen Josh?" The room cracked up laughing and I turned a deep shade of red. I didn't bother to respond I just rolled my eyes and headed to my bags. I tidied everything up but since we could leave it all here overnight I didn't pack up. I undid my hair and brushed it out. I quickly fishtail plaited it over my left shoulder. After I touched up my smudged makeup I grabbed my phone and headed out the door.

Because this competition is so big the trios are a different category to the duets so I'm happy I'm not in competition with my friends. We were all sitting on the stage, the ALDC in the front so we could be filmed clearly. Kendall was on my left and Mackenzie on my right. "Now for the junior duet division.." Kendall and I held hands with our fingers and toes crossed. He announced from tenth to third place and still no us. But the Thrive Studio girls hadn't been called either. "And now for runner up junior duet we have.." I looked over at Hadley who was looking at us like that would be us. ".. Number 65, Hadley and Zoe with I Want To Dance With Somebody!" I practically jumped into the air. Kendall gave my hand a bone crushing squeeze. Jill was in the audience grinning like the Chesire Cat, as my mom would put it. "And the winners of the duet category is number 39, Kendall and Chloe with Disturbia!" We sprung to our feet, screaming. After quickly wrapping each other in a bear hug, Kendall and I went to get our award. As we yelled 'Abby Lee Dance Company!' into the microphone the crowd went wild, I could even hear Miss Abby cheering. But as I looked eagerly into the audience after mom like I always do the realization hit me that she's not here. And she might never come to another competition. I mentally slapped myself to stop thinking like that. I went over to the Thrive girls and said my quick congratulations. Zoe gave me a hug but Hadley just rolled her eyes and turned away. Rude much! I shrugged it off and went to give Kendall another hug. Once we sat down the guy started with the trios. He got to the top 3 and Maddie, Nia and Paige still hadn't been announced. I reached across Kendall to squeeze Nia's hand, Maddie and Paige were too far down the stage. "And our first place junior trio is... Number 114, Maddie, Nia and Paige with Shake It Up!" I cheered and clapped and everyone else did the same. The girls got their awards, giant grins plastered on their faces. After the congratulating and all that jazz we returned to the dressing room. I packed up everything I would need overnight into my duffel. We all got on the bus and went back to the hotel room. After a quick shower I brushed my teeth and braided my hair. I turned on the tv in my room and flicked around before deciding on a Pretty Little Liars rerun. After about four episodes of the intense Rosewood drama playing out on the screen before me I started to feel a little sleepy. My eyelids were just getting heavy as I heard my phone let out a shrill ring, signifying I had a text. After a momentary heart attack I checked my phone.

Josh: You awake? I can't sleep.

I rolled my eyes.

Chloe: I am now.

I could just imagine the sheepish grin on his face as the word 'sorry' appeared on my screen.

Chloe: it's fine. Meet me on the balcony.

Because the Hyland's room was next to ours if I stood on our balcony I was right next to the Hyland's balcony. I grabbed a beige, knitted sweater and threw it over my pajama tank top. I shoved my feet into some fluffy slippers before tiptoeing down the hallway towards the balcony door.

I quietly pulled the sliding door open. I stepped out into the chilly air, pulling the door shut behind me. My slippers padded along the tiles as I made my way over to the edge of the balcony. The gorgeous city below was light up and in full swing, despite it being like 12 or something. I let my mind wonder off too mom, I wonder how she is doing.

"Chlo." I jumped and spun around. A smirking Josh stood leaning over the side of his balcony. Have I ever mentioned how much I love that smirk? Oh I really, really love that smirk.

"Hey stranger."

He smiled.

"So if I tried to kiss you over this balcony, what do you think the chances are that I won't die?"

I smirked. "I guess we'll have to take our chances."