Part 7

The day went well. Brian still spoke with me, but he constantly gave me shifty glares, as if I'd turn into a beast right in front of him. It was hard, having him look at me that way. My mind was also still cluttered with thoughts of Peter. A part of me wanted to reject these thoughts. I hadn't known him for long, and he was still a killer. And yet, I was daydreaming about him.

I felt like I was going insane. Working on cases involved werewolves and vampires, my best friend now giving me cautious stares, being a werewolf myself and fantasizing over a murderous vampire.

I left work early, I didn't want to even be a second late. I wanted to be there early. Once I got to the area, I could see he was already starting up. I wanted to scare him, but he already knew I was here. He turned and forced a smile, that was another thing about my attraction to him, I felt like he didn't think the same.

"I knew you'd be early," he said and continued to pull a mirror to the center of the area.

"What's that?" I asked, ignoring his comment.

"A mirror." he replied simply.

"Why do you need a mirror?"

"I'll explain in a moment," he replied as he straightened the blanket covering it.

I didn't notice the mirror in his house, and wondered where he hid it. I would've asked him, but I had more pressing questions. "If you don't mind me asking, why did you look so..."

"Monstrous?" he finished for me.

I averted my eyes nervously. "I guess you could say that."

"That is what happens when vampires drink human blood. The more blood we drink, the more monstrous we get. The appearance of Nosferatu wasn't just imagined, you know." he replied simply.

"Why did you kill that officer, though? I thought you said you'd die in there." I asked.

He quietly sighed. "I wanted to die in there, I really did, but the longer I went, the harder it became to control my animalistic urges. And when that officer came by to check on me, wondering why I was crumpled to the floor moaning, I took that chance to suck him dry. And if I was able to stop, too, I would've. But again, instincts kick in.

"I do thank that officer for his sacrifice, though, because I was able to escape by bending the bars and squeezing through. A vampire living off human blood can be unstoppable." he explained, lowering his head in shame.

I felt sympathy for him, and slowly approached him. Carefully, I reached out my hand to touch his shoulder, waiting for him to slap it away. And yet, he didn't, he allowed me to place a hand on his shoulder. Being the first time touching him, I expected him to be cold, but he was strangely warm.

I could feel his heartbeat and his chest go up and down with each breath. He felt human. It was strange yet comforting. I looked at him, wishing I could see his eyes, not those stupid, yet somehow attractive, sunglasses.

"Peter, it's not your fault. Brian was the one who was foolish to bring you in to the cops." I comforted.

He shook his head. "Don't be a hypocrite, you know you wanted to do the same. I don't blame you, I've thought of surrendering many times. But I never did, because I feared going primal. I want to be convicted of my crimes and properly punished, but I know that's impossible unless I can assume full control of the vampire."

I sighed, moving in closer and lifting his chin up with my other hand. I was surprised he was letting me be so intimate with him. He seemed so distant before. "I'm sorry for trying to get you arrested. I was angry about the death of my sister. I know why you did it, and I understand now. But don't hate your life. Be grateful for every day you get to spend on this earth."