Chapter 13 : A Malfoy And A Potter Can't Be Best Friends

Carter's POV
I stood by the lake thinking about what I was gonna tell Draco. I knew he hated Harry. Once he found out I was a potter...I ball my hands into fists not wanting to think about what would happen.

I became frustrated so I let out a frustrated yell. I let myself fall back and hit the ground. Soon a bell erupted from the castle. I knew it meant 20 minutes till curfew. Was I really out here for that long. Then I realized I had missed lunch and dinner. Draco would not be happy.

I know I've been worrying him for the past couple days. He had noticed I stopped eating and drinking. He could see threw my smiles and my laughs. He knew me better than anyone. He noticed when I didn't sleep. He noticed everything which was a good thing and a bad thing.

I slowly made my way up to the castle and walked through the doors. I trudged all the way to the dungeons without stopping once. I was hoping no one would be awake when I went through the painting. I slowly opened it and made my way across the darkened common room. Thunder sounded from outside and lighting crashed illuminating the common room for a brief second before it darkened again.

A creaking sound drew my attention toward the boys dormitory hallway. The door was open and a boy stepped out. I panicked and his behind the chair. The boy made his way down the stairs and stopped as he looked around the common room. Lighting flashed again and I got a better look at the boy...it was Draco.

I tried to sneak past him but he spun around and castes stupefy on me.

"Ow" I groaned slowly getting up.

Suddenly the fireplace erupted with a gleaming green fire and lit up the whole common room. Draco looked startled as he made his way over to me.

"Carter! Sorry, I thought you were someone else" he says rubbing the back of his neck

"It's alright" I say

Suddenly he smacks me on the back of the head.

"OW! What was that for?!" I yell at him

"For scaring me!" He whisper yells. I could see the hurt in his eyes. Normally it takes a lot to worry Draco...sometimes he's a wimp but I could see I actually scared him.

"I was just by the black lake" I say trying to comfort him

"Why?" He suddenly asks, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

"I was just thinking some things over" I say quietly

He looks into my eyes and I stare into his. I get lost and my mind flashed to when he told my grandmother was dead. Those stormy grey eyes are mesmerizing.

"Your not acting alright" his voice toned with worry...again.

"You worry too much" I say sitting on the couch.

"Carter" his tone tells me he's being serious. "You haven't been acting like yourself since your grandmothers death" he says sitting next to me

"It's not everyday you find out your only living family member is dead!" I snap at him. Of course that really wasn't true now but in Draco's case I had lost everyone.

He's shocked at my outburst but then turns his head to stare into the fire.

"I have to go" I say getting up but Draco grabs my wrist.

"Draco, let me go!" I snap at him

"No" he says sternly "I want you to talk to me! You never listen to when I tell you I'm your best friend and you can talk to me!" He says pleading with me