Chapter 7

Back in the living room of our apartment, I cracked my knuckles and rolled my head in preparation for the gigantic task ahead of me: find a baller job. It wasn't that I worried about finding a job, it was just the last time I'd gone through this whole job-hunting thing was right after I graduated college years ago. It had all been so overwhelming that when I went to Day Glo one night and found out they were hiring, I talked to the manager, and BAM! Jamie told me I had "good energy" and hired me on the spot. As long as I could get my foot in the door I was sure that same good energy would get me a job now.

I decided to start my job search by looking for the low-hanging fruit via a local classified ads website. Under the "Jobs" section I clicked the "Writing" category and perused the listings.

The headline reading "Get Paid to Write (HOME)" seemed too good to be true, but I clicked on it anyway. Who wouldn't want to work from home? Unfortunately the first line of the listing read, "Want to make a few extra bucks?" A few bucks? Pass.

There were several Technical Writer listings, but that sounded supremely boring. The next title that caught my eye was an advertisement for an Editorial Assistant. I didn't want to be anyone's assistant, but I knew I'd have to start somewhere. At least it'd be a foot in the door.

Floating Lotus Editorial, LLC is a growing organization that supports the management and publication of holistic health publications in the Southeast. The Editorial Assistant is responsible for supporting the editing process of at least one title.

Hmm, while it didn't seem like the most fascinating of jobs, I might be able to make it work. At least it sounded better than "Technical Writer." I skimmed the job functions and slowed down when I came to the qualifications.

Bachelor's degree required; Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field preferred.

Check.

3-5 years of writing and/or editing experience preferred.

3-5 years for an assistant position? No thanks. I clicked the back button on my browser and decided to check out a listing for a "Hackey Sack Brand Writer". I hadn't realized that was a thing.

We are an established recreational activities publication looking to hire some freelancers who are familiar with the college hackey sack scene. We're hiring in the following categories: hackey sacks, disc golf, outdoor culture, and other related lifestyle topics. You should be able to write simply and clearly about these topics.

So far so good.

To apply, respond with three links to your best articles online and your resume.

Crap. I didn't have three articles but I had written one really good letter to the editor of my college paper justifying my right to wear pajamas to class. Sadly I didn't think that would be enough to impress them.

I put my head in my hands. There didn't seem to be a lot of interesting writing jobs out there, or at least interesting writing jobs that I qualified for. When I sat down my goal was to find one job to apply to, and dammit, I was going to do it. I wanted to have something good to tell Zoey when she got home so that she would see how seriously I was taking this whole thing.

With a sigh, I sat up and refreshed the page. I spied a new headline at the top of the page that hadn't been there before, "Are you a music lover/writer/photographer?"

Um, YES! I clicked on the link.

EME Digital, a newly established online platform for local musicians to distribute their music, is in the process of screening applicants for the following positions: writer/reporter for our Blues, Soul, and R&B division; writer/reporter for our Pop/Rock division; photographers. For the writers, a knowledge of music and music history, particularly in the channel you would be applying for is recommended. A general love for live music is also recommended.