Chapter 15

The next morning, I woke up at six in a good mood and with a pep in my step. I was actually looking forward to going to yoga, centering myself on the mat, and forgetting all my problems. That reminded me—I really needed to get my own mat and towel so I could stop using the ones Daisy provided. I was there often enough that I should have my own stuff.

I didn't even bother to wake Zoey since I knew Hayden had slept over the previous night. On tiptoe I crept through the living room and grabbed my water bottle off the coffee table before slipping out the door.

After yoga, I bypassed the coffee shop and returned to the apartment building for a shower and nap. Instead of going straight upstairs when I entered the building, I checked our mailbox, then lingered in front of the cork bulletin board next to the boxes.

This would be a good place to hang a flier for my social club, I thought, my eyes scanning the postings. Lost cat. Babysitting services. Position available in the leasing office. Building meeting on the twentieth of October.

Wait a second. I revisited the posting about the leasing office, and before I knew what I was doing I whipped out my phone and called the number on the poster.

"Dogwood Estates Leasing Office, Owen speaking. How may I help you?"

"Hi Owen, my name is Reese MacDowell and I live in the building on Ehringhaus Road. I was calling because I saw you're looking for a leasing consultant."

"Yeah. Are you interested in the position?"

Um, duh; that's why I said I was calling.

"Yes."

"Great, just shoot your resume over to me as soon as you can; we want to fill this position ASAP."

"Thank you. I'll do that!"

He gave me his email address and I clicked off the call. I had a really good feeling about the job. I sent a quick text to Malcolm requesting his help in revamping my resume.

****

"You look fabulous!" Zoey gushed, giving my hand a squeeze as we entered Sakura Hibachi Grill. It was set up like any other Hibachi restaurant with lines of gleaming flat-top grills encircled by families, chefs with tall white hats preparing meats and veggies behind them.

"I better. This dress was, like, seventy bucks," I muttered, smoothing my hands over the fit-and-flare navy blue dress covered in constellations. I'd really played up the quirky fifties theme by pairing the dress with a fire engine red cropped cardigan, and tiny sliver of a red belt. On my feet I wore peep-toe red pumps. I'd even taken the time to curl my hair.

Zoey nudged Hayden with her elbow. "Doesn't she look awesome?"

"Yeah, great," Hayden said. He didn't even glance at me; he was too busy scanning the interior of the restaurant.

Zoey rolled her eyes. "Ignore him. He's excited to hang out with Trevor. Apparently they haven't seen each other in ages. God, Reese, I can't wait for you to see this guy!"

"Speaking of which, why didn't you show me his Facebook picture if he's all that handsome? I think you're hiding something."

Zoey fluttered her lashes and put her hand to her chest with dramatics that rivaled my own. "Moi? Impossible!"

Now I knew something was up.

"Ah!" Hayden said. "He's over there."

I smoothed down my dress and fluffed my hair as I fell into line behind Zoey and Hayden. I wondered what the guy would look like—was he truly as handsome as Zoey had made him out to be? If that was the case, there had to be something wrong with him if he was still single.