Chapter Thirteen

Dedicated to midnightera for the beautiful banner. Thank you so much, it's gorgeous!
***

The cold prickled at my skin, fighting against the warmth that some how surrounded me, and I reclusantly rose to consciousness.

I groaned, attempting to roll onto my side but failing miserably, and slowly peeling my eyes open, my gaze fell to the pair of arms that were wrapped around me, engulfing me in their warmth.

I struggled to remember who the person could possibly be, looking around myself in an attempt to restore my memory and realized that I was in the bed of a truck, outside.

And then I remembered the night before, how Reth had made the makeshift bed in the back of the truck and we'd slept under the stars, realizing that the person beside me that was caging me in his arms was Reth.

My senses were overrun with a tingling sensation, like my body was on fire, and not being able to identify it I felt the need to get out of the situation.

"Reth," I said groggily, nudging him a little. "Reth, wake up."

"Mmph," he mumbled, only pulling me closer to himself and burrowing his face into the crook of my neck while he slept. My breath hitched as the tingling didn't stop, it only growing stronger, and my heartbeat sped up.

"Reth," I said louder, trying to break free once again and failing all the same. "Could you please let me go?"

No response.

"Wake. Up." I pleaded, shaking his arm that was around my waist.

"Clare," he yawned, his voice deep and coated with sleep. "What's wrong-" He paused, seeming to notice the position he was in, and slowly took his head off of my shoulder. "Oh," he said awkwardly.

"You mind maybe letting me go?" I asked uncomfortably.

"Uh-yeah," he muttered, clearing his throat and blushing crimson as he removed his arms from around me. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine," I told him, the tingling gone.

"Did you..." He trailed off, looking confused.

"What?" I asked him.

"Nothing. Never mind," he said, turning away from me and running a hand through his already messy hair.

Rolling onto my stomach, I put the pillow over my head, attempting to block out the sun so that I could go back to sleep and moaning in despair when he yanked it away from me, saying, "Oh no you don't."

"Reth," I wined. "I need to go back to sleep."

"We have plans today, remember?" He questioned.

"Can't they wait until later-"

"Nope," he interrupted. "Don't you want to finish the wall?"

Groaning again, I flopped back onto my back, blowing my hair out of my face so that I could glare at him for making me get up. "You know, I really hate you sometimes," I muttered, and he laughed in response.

The awkward moment seemed forgotten for the time being, and I was thankful.

"I'm sorry, but I have, like, a list of things we have to do today, including getting Raquel's truck back to him by nine tonight, so we oughta' get started."

"Alright," I huffed as I sat up, stretching as I did so. He stared at me for a moment before he doubled over, laughing so hard his face turned cherry red. "What's so funny?" I asked him, and he looked back up at me without containing himself.