Chapter 1

We always played baseball at recess. Well, my friends did anyways. My mom always said that I had to wear dresses to school, otherwise I'd be playing too. She didn't really care what I dressed outside of school, she usually just wanted me looking good for the teachers and not like the "wild child" I was. I think she just wanted me to not play baseball.

I was real good friends with a lot of the guys that played and they were always on the same team. They let me sit with them in the dugout while they batted.

We had been short a guy when one of our guys moved earlier in the school year.

We were sitting on bench when our best player Benny Rodriguez got in a pickle. I stood up and the others followed.

A couple of them hollered pickle and we ran to the baseline to yell for him.
As always he made it home. We all gathered around him and cheered.

He smiled at me and put an arm around me. We had been next door neighbors our whole lives and had been good friends since we were about 5.

That was the end of that recess. It usually ended with us winning somehow. The only time we didn't win was when three of our guys were missing and we had to fill them in with three bozos.

Everyone filed back inside and continued on with the boring school day. Kids were starting to get restless, it was nearing the end of the school year.

"Let's go Squints! Jesus you'd think you had rocks in your pockets or something!" I said pulling him away from our school by the back of his shirt.

"I'm just tryna get a good look!" He said adjusting his glasses to get a good look at Wendy Peffercorn. He had the hots for her. Most guys do. She had a little brother in the second grade and always came to pick him up. It's basically the reason Squints came to school.

I changed right after the bell as I always did, into a pair of jean shorts to just above my knees and a plain red shirt.

"Squints the guys are waiting!" I said giving one last big tug on his shirt. I was surprised it didn't rip.

"Okay okay!" he said rolling his eyes and we ran off down the street.

We go to a place called the sandlot right after school everyday. Regardless of homework or not we go and get home at about 6 for supper.

Squints groaned and we started running away from the school. By the time we got there they had already started.

"Where were you two?" Benny asked coming out of his batting stance and causing the rest of the guys to stare as well.

"Squints was worried about his beloved Wendy." I said making a lovey voice when I said her name. Squints hit me with his glove making me burst out laughing.

I tied my brown hair back quickly then put on my Indians hat. The guys always have me crap about my team because they weren't all that good. Hadn't won the World Series since 48. I guess it's not that bad.

I threw my bag off to the side and went to my usual spot at 2nd base. (We're just gonna cut Bertrum out of the story😬sorry if anyone liked him)

Our catcher was a kid named Hamilton Porter. We just called him Ham, I usually called him Porter.

The kid that played first base was Timmy Timmins. His brother Tommy played center field.