Chapter 4

We all woke up pretty close to the same time.

I yawned and stretched nearly hitting Benny and Yeah Yeah in the face. The treehouse was pretty big, but still a bit small for 9 kids to sleep in.

We all went home about 7:30 to change for the playing ball. It was weird, my mom hardy cleaned up from dinner the night before. The table still had the nice tablecloth on it and even an unlit candle. She hadn't even done the dishes yet! She must have been really tired. I shrugged and ran to my room.

I put on a pair of shorts and a navy blue shirt with my red converse. I grabbed my hat and glove then ran out and ate a quick breakfast.

Right when I stepped outside I knew we most likely wouldn't play. It was like 100 degrees. I walked over to the sandlot anyways.

When I got there all the guys were sitting underneath the dugout. Porter was basically dying.

"Benny, cmon man it's like a billion degrees we can't play baseball!" Porter said after taking a drink.

"Where you guys been?" Benny said ignoring Porter to talk to Squints and Yeah Yeah who had been getting a ball.

"We got held up by goo goo eyes here." Yeah Yeah said rolling his eyes and pointing at Squints.

"I wasn't making goo goo eyes!" Squints groaned annoyed.

"Yeah yeah you were!" Yeah Yeah said laughing.

I had taken a seat between Kenny and Tommy.

"Please Benny!" Porter said in whinny voice.

Yeah Yeah and Squints sat down and we all listened to Porter beg.

"What else are we gonna do?" Benny said putting his hands on his hips. I smiled and Yeah Yeah laughed in realization.

"Let's go swimming!" He said making us all cheer.

"Aw come on! Okay raise your hand if you wanna go to the pool and be a can't-hack-it pantywaist who, wears their mamas bra, raise your hand." Benny said with a smirk.

All eight hands flew up and Benny groaned.

"Okay fine, be like that." Benny said rolling his eyes.

"Three already does that!" Porter said making the guys laugh.

"Porter? Go screw." I said making the guys all cheer. After that we all split up and went home to get our things we needed.

I got into my blue one piece and put on my shirt over top, then my shorts, then my shoes.

One of the guys' favorite things was to check out the girls. I'm just glad they never said anything about me.

We all met basically in the middle of the street. When everyone was there we started walking there.

"Do you know if Wendy is working today?" Squints asked as we walked there.

"You'll see when we get there won't you." I said rolling my eyes.

We got to the pool and sure enough Wendy was working.

The boys all ditched their towels. I took my shirt off as quickly as I could and jumped in after them. I hated being exposed in my swimsuit, especially with my scar being completely visible. In the water I felt like I was covered.

We swam and goofed around for a while before the boys all became fixated on Wendy while she was putting on sunscreen or something.

I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes as the boys drooled over her.

"You guys are such pigs." I said making Benny and Kenny laugh.

"I can't take it anymore!" Squints said making us all jump. He swam to the edge of the pool and got out. Then he started walking.

"What's he doing?" I asked standing right next to Benny.

"I don't know." Benny asked concern filling his voice suddenly.

He was going for the diving board.

"What's he doing? He can't swim!" Timmy said causing Tommy to say the exact same thing.

Squints waved to Wendy, who waved back, and jumped in.

"Squints!" I yelled starting to swim over with the other guys. We all climbed out and soon Wendy dove in to get him.

She swam back up and another life guard helped her get him out.

All of us stared in fear at our basically dead friend.

Wendy started giving him mouth to mouth, it didn't look like it was working.

We all started to share our worries and thoughts on what was happening.

I felt someone grab my right hand and I looked over to see Benny staring at Squints.

He squeezed my hand making me look back at Squints who was grinning. I narrowed my eyes at him and all of us were confused now.

He stopped as soon and Wendy connected their mouths together. That's when it clicked in my mind.

He suddenly grabbed her head and started kissing her. I smiled and was cheering him on in my head.

Wendy pulled away with a blazing red face.

"Aw man he's in deep shit!" Timmy said trying not to laugh.

"You little pervert!" Wendy called out. She grabbed him and dragged him over to the pool entrance.

Benny's hand disappeared sometime in the madness of the eight of us trying to get our stuff and avoid the crowd following behind Wendy and Squints.

We all got banned from the pool that day.

"Squints did you plan that?" Timmy asked as we all started walking home.

"Been planning it for years." Squints said making me smile and shake my head.

"You guys he planned that!" Timmy said causing the rest of the guys to laugh and cheer.

We all went home and just hung out at home I guess. Dinner with my mother was awkward as usual.

"Wendy's mother told me what happened at the pool today." She said looking at me.

"Were you with the boys?" She asked setting down her fork.

"Yeah so what?" I said shrugging and swallowing my food.

"I think they're a bad influence on you, now that Phillips boy..." She said raising her eyebrows and taking a drink.

I coughed and used a napkin to spit on my half chewed hot dog.

"Mom, you know I hate him." I said rolling my eyes.

"Hate is a strong word." She said starting to clear the table.

"I honestly don't think it's strong enough." I mumbled standing up and leaving without another word.

This Phillips kid my moms always talking about, she's good friends with his mom. They live more on the rich side of town. You know, the arrogant type.

Actually, I've met his mom. She's super nice from what I've seen. But she can't see through his little fake angel look, and neither can my mother. His name was William Phillips but the guys and I called him Phillips.

He had a crush on me since we were little. But I hated his guts and he hated my friends. Clearly that was a problem.

//////
They never said what Phillips name was in the movie so I just made one up 😂 okay.