Chapter 9

I woke up to a knock on be front door.
I jumped awake and looked at the time. 10:00. My mom was at work.

"Oh shit." I said falling out of the bed. I quickly looked in the mirror. My pin had fallen out and my hair was super messy but I didn't really care. Being me I forgot about Phillips jacket.

I shot out of my room and stumbled to the door. I swung it open to see Benny and Smalls. They both looked me up and down.

"Whose is that?" Benny said at the same time Smalls said "Nancy?"

"Not important." I said quickly and crossing my arms.

"Hey. We were all worried when you didn't show up this morning." Benny said raising an eyebrow at me and the jacket.

"Oh. I just had an, interesting night." I said pausing for a second and looking down at the jacket.

"Are you gonna come out?" Smalls asked adjusting his hat.

"I don't think so. I don't feel very good." I said noticing that I actually didn't feel the best.

"Okay. See ya tomorrow." Smalls said starting to walk away.

"Can I talk to you for a second. In private?" Benny asked looking back at Smalls.

I nodded and stepped fully outside, closing the door behind me.

"I'll catch up Smalls!" Benny said. Smalls gave him a thumbs up and ran off down the street.

"What's going on with you?" Benny asked stepping closer so that I had to look up a little to look into his eyes.

"What do you mean?" I asked giving him an innocent smile. Benny knew me better though.

"You know damn well what I mean Nancy." He said making me step back and against the door.

"You've got what I'm guessing is Phillips jacket and want to skip out on ball today. What's happening with you?" He asked putting a hand on the door and leaning down so we were only inches apart.

"Nothing's wrong Benny." I said looking at everything but his eyes now.

"I know you're hiding something. Is it really that bad?" He asked watching me closely.

"Yes, it is that bad Benny." I snapped and looked back at him.

I sighed and spilled everything that happened the night before.

"I have to go to his baseball game at 3. After that I hope I never have to talk with him again." I said watching his eyes drain of some happiness.

"Why didn't you just tell me?" He asked clearly getting mad.

"I don't want to upset you." I said looking down, disappointed in myself.

"I just don't want him to hurt you." He said looking towards my lips.

"Um, I can take care of myself Benny, but thanks." I said, my voice getting high like it does when I get super nervous.

"I know you can. But it doesn't hurt to have back up." He said moving a piece of my snarly hair out of my face. Weird, my stomach freaked out and I started to feel really really weird.

"I better get inside." I said nervously reaching behind me for the door handle.

"Okay. Please just watch your back Nancy." He said before stepping away from me and walking towards Smalls down the street.

That's when things started to play out in my head. Did Benny like me? Did he know I liked him? I shook my head and cleared my mind.