Chapter 5

Bucky laid down on the road. A car stopped inches away from him and honked loudly. "Either drive over me or drive around!" Bucky screamed, pounding his fists on the asphalt. The car drove around him. Almost an hour later he got up, trudging to the park. He laid down on a hill, staring up at the sky.

"Are you okay?" He heard a voice and shrugged.

"I don't know," he sighed, then shook his head. "No."

"How are you, then?"

"Better, I think." Natasha laid down beside him. "You weren't talking," Bucky mumbled.

"No, sweetie. Clint came along, and Matt."

"Why?"

"They were with me," Natasha said slowly and Bucky scoffed.

"What did Steve want to talk to you about?"

"You, actually."

"What about me? Is he worried?" Bucky asked sarcastically.

"Yes, actually."

"Tell him it's his fucking fault."

"But he loves Peggy. Don't you want him to be with who he loves, be happy?"

"But I love him!" Bucky snapped, covering his face. "Shit. Guess it's true, then."

"You love him?" Natasha asked and Bucky groaned.

"I don't know. Matt, Clint, relationship status," Bucky demanded quietly.

"Just friends," Matt replied coolly.

"Then what's with the proximity and touching?"

"You usually have to touch a little bit for tactile signing. And the closeness calms him down a little; and me."

"Why are you answering all the questions?" Bucky inquired and Matt shrugged.

"Hearing aid is out, I think," he said, facing Clint's direction.

"Yeah," Clint confirmed and Matt nodded.

"He's had it out for a while, so he doesn't remember what some words sound like. And he's tired and I think it's dark out," Matt said and Bucky nodded.

"It is. Sexuality?"

"Doesn't matter. If I like the person," Matt said, his arm pressing against Clint's. Bucky barely noticed it.

"Good." Bucky ignored what he just saw. "I need help. What do I do about Steve?"

"Steal his inhaler!" Clint screamed and Bucky laughed, shaking his head.

"I'll put a pin in it. I think I'm just going to go home. Or sleep here."

"Don't sleep here," Natasha said and Bucky scoffed.

"I can sleep where I want, mom," Bucky drawled, shaking his head. "'M not fuckin moving, either way." Bucky felt himself lifted up and smiled, somehow close to tears. "You guys care about me so much."

"Of course we do, buddy," Matt said and Bucky sniffled.

"I just don't understand! How are you carrying me if you're blind?!"

"I'm following Clint and Natasha is telling me where to move, as well," Matt explained and Bucky sighed loudly.

"I'm annoying you, aren't I?"

"A little, yes."

"Somebody called you earlier," Natasha said. "Strange accent."

"Pietro. What'd he say?"

"Not Pietro. Other foreign boy. Kurt, I think?" Natasha said hesitantly. "Anyways, he said that he wanted to hang out with you and Pietro. Tomorrow after school or Saturday."

"Could make it a fuckin sleep over, then," Bucky mumbled.

"I could ask for you, then." Natasha unlocked his front door and carried him to his bed. Bucky smiled weakly as she covered him.

"Thanks..." Bucky muttered before falling asleep.

~•~

Bucky knocked on the door, forcing a smile when a grinning Pietro opened the door. "He came!" He yells into the room and Bucky heard two small cheers. He walked in and set his bag down, sighing. "You know Kurt, obviously. And that's my sister Wanda," Pietro introduced, pointing to the girl sitting beside Kurt.

"Yes, of course. So glad to actually meet you," Bucky put his hand out and Wanda hesitated before shaking it. "Ooh, sorry. Wrong arm," he apologized and sat down. "Do I leave my arm on the whole time? It might come off, alright?" Bucky asked and she nodded. "How old are you?"

"Same age as Pietro. 13 since last Monday."

"I'm twelve," Kurt said and Bucky smiled.

"You guys are so little. How are you in high school?"

"We're smart enough. All the classes I learned were a few years ahead of yours," Kurt explained and Bucky laughed.

"America is just not good with education. Clearly," Bucky sighed and opened his bag, taking out a flask. "Want some?" He offered them, and they all declined. "You're too little, anyways."

They talked and played video games for a few hours until Bucky's phone rang. "It's Matt," he said and answered, jumping up when he heard a scream. "I need- I need to go. I might come back. I don't know what's happening," Bucky blubbered and they nodded in understanding.

~•~

Bucky arrived at Matt's house 10 minutes later. He quickly found the spare key and opened the door, frowning when he saw Clint sitting on the couch, watching TV.

Bucky stormed over to him and waved a hand in his face. Clint pointed to his ears and the broken hearing aid beside him. Bucky glanced around and walked to the kitchen, standing up and turning the fire alarm off. He then located Matt, who was in the bathroom, sitting in the shower, screaming. Bucky carefully touched his leg and Matt relaxed, swallowing thickly. "Matt, what happened?" He asked. Matt didn't respond. "Matt."

He frowned and left. He stood in front of Clint and started typing on his phone, showing Clint. Matt is screaming in the bathroom and he's not responding to me. I don't know tactical sign language. Can you ask him what happened?

Clint rushed to the bathroom, crouching in front of Matt and gently grabbing his hand, signing quickly on it. Matt took a shaky breath, signing as he talked. "Fire alarm started going off. My ears started ringing and then I couldn't hear." Clint signed again on his hand.

"I'm asking how long," he explained to Bucky.

"Still can't hear. For almost an hour."

"Okay. We're going to do some research, maybe take you to the hospital if needed," Clint said as he signed.

"Don't go," Mat whispered and Clint looked at Bucky.

"Google some stuff. Please," he said and Bucky nodded. He sat on the counter and started googling stuff, glancing at Matt and Clint every few minutes, watching Clint slowly run circles on Matt's back and knee, whispering against Matt's neck.