Black Music

Rehearsals began. My band and I were given a few days to rehearse our American Music Awards performance. We planned to stick to the performances we did while touring but I wanted to add a few things.
I had bought these drum sticks that light up in the dark and change colour.
I waked across the stage to towards the lights guy.
"Hi! So at one point near the end of the performance I want the stage to be completely dark. I want it pitch black."
"Yes. We can definitely do that for you!"
"Perfect!"

Growing up in poverty, I was always hearing the word no. I never got have many Barbie dolls. I had to beg for ice cream during hot days. I'd peak at the neighbours home when I smelled something good cooking. Since both my mom and dad worked, we rarely had cooked meals. We would eat microwaveable food.
Since I rose to stardom, all I get is yes. I'm not still not used to hearing it.

                                 🔸⚜🔸

As the days went on, rehearsals were finished for my band. Now I had to join Prince and the Revolution's rehearsals for their performance at the Grammys.

Admittedly I was a bit worried about Prince still being pissed at the way I walked out on him after telling me he didn't like hanging out with Jody.
I walked inside the auditorium. No one was there. I walked up to the stage.
"Hello?" I yelled.
Suddenly Prince walks out from behind the curtain.
"Sheila." He says in a soft tone.
"Hi. Where is everyone?"
"We finished rehearsing yesterday. We didn't need much time since we'll be preforming the exact way we did while on tour. Everyone's got the steps down. Even you."
"Yeah I think after 98 shows I've got it down."
"Right. But well be changing a few things. I'll be having extras fill the stage. We're just going to have a party on stage."
"I guess we'll be bringing the after party to the Grammys", I joked.
He smiled as he crossed his arms.
"Well if you don't need me, I'll just be--"
"Come here", he interrupted.
I hesitated but eventually walked up on stage.
He started walking towards a keyboard.
I followed him.
He sat down in front of the keyboard player and started playing a bit. I sat down next to him.
"What's on your mind I asked him."
"I've been nominated at he American Music for Awards Favourite Black Album and Favourite Black Single."
He stopped playing the keyboard and turned to look at me.
"Black? How can music have a colour?" He asked rhetorically.
I rested my hand on his shoulder to comfort him.
"I'm so sorry Prince."

Since meeting Prince all those years ago he's always made it known how much he despised the blatant segregation at music awards. He wanted to be recognized for his music regardless of the colour of his skin.
"I set out to play rock and pop music and they categorize it as black music. If that's so, why are there so many white folks loving my music too? They're only calling it black music because a black guy created the music. If a white artist wrote a song, they wouldn't categorize it as Favourite White Single. Fuck all these labels. When doves cry was number 1 on the hot 100 not just the R&B charts. This is bullshit.m", he said in contempt.
"What are you going to do? Are you still going to go to the American Music Awards?"
"Yeah. I just won't give an acceptance speech as a protest."
"That's good. I support that 100%. You will be recognized for your talent and influence. I know you will."
"The white community won't accept the colour of my skin and the black community won't accept my music."
"What do you mean?" I asked trying to seem oblivious.
"Haven't you been reading the papers? The black community has accused me of selling out. I still believe I've influenced a good amount of black people. I aimed to have my music bring people together. It's why I have a multicultural band."

I knew that Prince always had trouble finding that balance. I remember when The Time toured with him after his 1999 album came out, the black people in the audience cheered for The Time way more than they did for Prince. I feel Prince has already been an outsider when it came to the black community. Trying to play all kinds of music came at a cost to him and that cost was his disconnection from the black majority of music listeners.