Chapter 26 ~ Redemption

He's okay. Kylo is okay. He's safe for now. That was all I was able to comprehend as General Organa led me out of the small building and into the open air. I breathed in the smell of the dry dust getting kicked up by the Resistance workers scrambling back and forth around me. This is it! The Resistance base! This is where I always dreamed I would be... "Andromeda, I've heard quite a lot about you." General Organa said softly, letting go of my hand and walking at my side. I blushed a deep shade of red. "Your mother, Anastasia, is one of my very best." She continued. I nodded, before the fact that she had said "is" caught my attention. "I'm sorry General, but did you say, 'she is?'" General Organa tilted her head, staring at me in curiosity. "Yes. Do you not think so?" She inquired. My head swam with emotions and I slowed my pace even more. Could it be? Is my mother...alive? I slowly turned my gaze on my superior. "Whatever is the matter, my dear? You look as if you've seen a ghost." General Organa cocked her head in confusion. I shook my head, trying to break out of my daze. "No. It's just...I was told Naboo had been bombed. That everyone left was killed. I assumed my mother had been one of the casualties..." I whispered, wiping away the tears of relief. General Organa placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Who told you that?" She asked. "Snoke." I replied, biting back my growl of anger and resentment. "Well, I can safely assure you that Naboo is as safe and prosperous as can be expected. No one has died, there haven't been any bombings. And your mother is alive and well. In fact, she's been so worried about you, she's barely left the base. She'll be happy to know you're back. I've already notified her to return from her mission to Endor. Though I haven't told her why.

I figured it would be best to surprise her." General Organa winked at me. I breathed a sigh of relief and wiped the wetness from my eyes. "Thank you, General." I told her. She smiled, patting my shoulder.

A heartbeat of silence passed before we continued to walk again. "General...what is my punishment? For fighting on the side of the First Order. I know I betrayed you. The Resistance. My mom. My home. Everyone I hold dear..." I finally commented. General Organa seemed to ponder the question for a moment. "Ben has told me everything. How you saved your people from him by following his command and making a deal with him. How you wanted to escape from the very moment you became his apprentice. And yet...somewhere along the lines, you became more than master and apprentice...would you like to elaborate? Forgive me, I know you must be tired of repeating the story over and over." She said. I took a shaky breath. "It's quite alright, General. He's right. I hated him for taking me away, for forcing me to betray my people. But as time went on, I realized there was still something human underneath the terrifying mask. Something that yearned to be released. When I found out who he really was, that he was your son. I knew I couldn't give up on him. I couldn't let the darkness overpower him like it had so many others. He didn't want to admit it, but he didn't seem like he really wanted all of the destruction the First Order was causing." I explained. "Then you didn't even do anything wrong, my dear. You did what you thought was best. Why should I punish you for being human?" She asked. I met her eyes then. "But, I fought Master Luke and his apprentice. I fought with the First Order. Even when Master Luke offered for me to come home. I stayed." I argued. "Ben said you were ordered to do it, to fight for him. That you were forced. And I know what Luke told you. But, Andromeda, you know that in your heart, you did some of the wrong things for the right reasons. I can't fault you for that." She murmured. "So..." "So, you are pardoned for any and all crimes you may be accused of." The weight on my shoulders slightly diminished. "Thank you, General Organa." I smiled with relief and amazement. "But...but if I may, what will happen to Ben?" I asked softly. General Organa froze for a moment, then met my eyes. "He will have to repent for his crimes, but he is in no immediate danger...why do you ask my dear?" She asked. "I just wanted to be sure he was safe. That's all..." I muttered bashfully.