Prologue: Single Shard

I have been told that what is lost can never be found. The ideal situation where all fates align to allow a clear sight to what you cannot see does not exist. I have been brought up to believe that miracles do not happen. There is no higher power and all the decisions you make are your own fault. I believed such ideals for most of my life. How can you believe in a higher power when you are said power. My people and I were by far not Gods or Goddesses. We were merely the ones that kept everything in line for the humans. I hate what I was. When humans hear of "demon" they automatically think of evil creatures with grim agendas and hideous features. I was neither.

"Mae!" My father yelled from his room upstairs. I set off towards him. I was no hideous creature. Blood red hair and pale grey eyes highlighted my pale face and coral lips. I was toned and sleek. My body a medium height. I was no ugly creature nor was I monstrous in my actions. I was a demon assigned to ensuring humans don't die before they are due. On a daily basis, I saved over a hundred souls. How was I a horrible creature?!

"Yes father," a slap scorched my face. I looked down as told. Never make eye contact with your superiors, and this meant parents too.

"You stupid thing! You let a human slip...do you not understand the consequences?!" He slapped me again. If I spoke now I would be hit harder. It was not my fault, "answer me now!"

"I'm sorry. The human had wished salvation and I granted it. She was very sick and suffering. I granted her mercy my Lord." My dad was the "Lucifer" or Lord as humans would call it. He ruled over us and would eventually pass the rule over to another. The chain would keep going until something changes later down the road.

"No excuse." I bowed. Because I gave mercy I would be beaten. Because I was not like the rest I would be punished. Her death would upset nothing in particular, "leave my sight. I'm tired of you disappointing all of us."

"I am sorry father, please, it will never happen again." He wrapped his fingers around my throat and threw me from his room.

"You are no daughter of mine." The door slammed as I sat in the wood floor of the manor.

"Apparently not." I stood up, running down the stairs and out of the manor. I was like my mother, or so I was told. She passed away giving birth to me. My father hardened and learned to hate me. I killed my mother. I would not go back to that house ever again. I set out through the woods with only the moon as my companion. I was the beginning of a line of decedents that would fact the worst situations of their lives. I was the beginning of all the breaking points of a million minds. I was the very start of all the stories out there.