[11]

I hate it when people portray themselves as someone they're not.

•*•*•*•*•

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
—Oscar Wilde

Wow, I just read that off a random motivational card on my wall.

This topic is somewhat dependent on how much someone has to pretend they like something, or what they have to like,
but for the sake of this rant, I'll be talking about people who fake most of their interests or people who completely portray themselves as someone they're not, things like that, not small stuff, because I guess small stuff is alright?
Small stuff similar to how intelligent people fake their grades for their convenience.

I really dislike it when people portray themselves as someone they're not.
Not only is it misleading and stupid, but if someone pretended to be someone else as a first impression, your portrayal would most likely fall apart later on.
This is may because your real self is slowly showing.

Hypothetical:

You met someone for the first time, who seemed to have a good first impression. This person seemed ideal to you, but later on, as you hang out with them, the person seems to not be the person you met. That's because their real self is somewhat unraveling.

THIS IS NOT NECESSARILY A BAD THING.

However, it's kind of disappointing.

If your real side slips out, it's okay, embrace it.

In this situation, it could be that the person changed over time, but this is still mostly about fake personalities.

Keep in mind though:

!! A CHANGE IN CHARACTER DOES NOT MEAN THAT SOMEONE FAKED THEIR PERSONALITY !!

I also hate it when people fake their interests to impress others or to just gain a common interest.

Hypothetical:

Your crush loves to eat shrimp, but you're allergic to shrimp. Yet, you eat shrimp anyway, since your crush likes it.

It would be stupid to pretend to like shrimp in this situation.

*sigh*

I'm going to give one of the most overused, yet somewhat underrated advice:

Be yourself, because other people are stupid. If you want to be like other people, then you want to be stupid. Don't be stupid. Be yourself.

Being un-yourself is so disappointing, counterintuitive, and honestly so fucking stupid.

And to be honest, I could imagine how troubling it could be, like
I could think of a playboy trying to get women in a fucking fish costume to impress hot marine biologist.
Costumes are hard to deal with— I would not fuck with that.

Anyway, I admit that I've faked an interest before, but if you're aware of it and you've moved passed it, good for you.

However, if you're currently un-yourself, then drop the act, baby-doll.
That's what I recommend.
Your true self is bound to slip out, might as well just expose yourself.

ƪ(˘ ˘)ʃ