Chapter II - Sherlock Who?

Sherlock, Sherlock, Sherlock.

Who was Sherlock?

It is the question that had been nagging on my mind all day. The other question is, where is Ash? I haven't seen her in days.

But that's not as important. Sherlock died yesterday, and I don't know why. Heck, no one knows why! But they know who he was, and I don't. I need more information. Then I get an idea. The Internet has all the answers! I think as I walk through the doors of my TARDIS.

'Ash?' I call out into the darkness of the diner. 'Hello? Anyone here?' no one answers. I sigh and make my way to the diner's bar and set my bag down on the counter. I glance around the diner. The only light is coming through the windows, otherwise the place is dark. A pan of burnt soufflés is on the counter. I touch them and they're cold and hard, like they've been set out for days. I wonder, when did they get there?

I glance around at the booths. All of the tables are clean and have nothing on them. Except for one...

I walk over to that one and flip open my laptop that is sitting on the table. The web browser is open to a cooking website, on a link for a strawberry soufflé recipe. A tab is also open for... waffles? Since when did I take an interest in waffles? Since when did my laptop get here, anyway?

My android phone is lying next to my computer, so I click the home button to open it up. I unlock the screen, and the first thing that pops up is a message saying, 'This message is no longer available as this contact has been blocked'  from a random number. I exit that screen and turn off the phone, slightly confused. I don't remember blocking a number... or having a contact with that phone address.

I sit down at the booth and delete the soufflé and waffle tabs. Then I type into the search box, Sherlock Holmes, and leave the cursor blinking. Immediately, a suggestion pops up for Sherlock Holmes. I press enter and scroll through the links. 'Fraudulent Detective Takes His Own Life,' that sounds correct... 'The Fall of a Great Man,'--called it! Smirking proudly, I click on a wikipedia link that takes me to a webpage that is a biography of his life.

I read and read. The page is actually quite long. Apparently, he was a detective for New Scotland Yard and had a co-worker named John Watson, so that must've been the man I met at the fall scene. His full name was William Sherlock Scott Holmes... He claimed to be a high functioning sociopath... He claimed to have owned a dog named Redbeard when he was little... His older brother is Mycroft Holmes, an employee of the British Government, who has much power... He lived on 221B Baker Street... His death is considered suicide... Near the end of his death he had been accused of being a "fake detective"... and he was a rumoured drug addict. Cocaine and morphine, to be exact. According to John, Sherlock also smoked and used nicotine patches.

I click on the name John Watson, which is highlighted in blue and underlined, and it takes me to a page on him. He served in Afghanistan, his full name is John Hamish Watson, he is rumoured to be gay and in an affair with Sherlock Holmes, sees a therapist, shared a flat with Sherlock, and solved crimes with the detective. Having read enough, I exit the pages and continue looking through links.

Scrolling down the list again, I glance over various articles and websites. 'Suicide of Fake-Genius'... 'Super-Sleuth is Dead'... and then a link reading, Flat for rent at Baker St, inquire within. It is quite curious that an ad should pop up when I searched specifically for Sherlock Holmes, so I click on it to see why it might have done that. It takes me to a little page that has a heading that reads the URL. The page reads,

A flat is for rent at 221B Baker St by landlady Martha Louise Hudson. 221B is the former home of Sherlock Holmes and his colleague John Watson, but, sadly, Mr Holmes passed on recently and Mr Watson has, since then, moved out. The place is in need of some--but not too drastic--repair, and is still quite messy from its former renters. £330 per week. To accept the offer, inquire within at 221B Baker St, London, England.