Chapter XII - 077...

"Martha?" the nurse called into Martha's room. "Martha, are you awake?"

"Yes, Margot." a feeble voice answered. The nurse, Margot, stepped in and drew back the curtain that was around Martha's bed. Martha Jones lay in a hospital bed, tubes connected to her hands and face. Her blanket was a familier shade of... TARDIS blue.

"I've brought some friends to come visit you--Miss Clara Oswald and Master Mycroft Holmes." Margot said, gesturing toward Sherlock and I. She gathered her hands together and said, "If you need me, just call. And don't forget that your husband is visiting tomorrow." and with thatshe left the room.

"Hello, Martha," I smiled. "I trust you're feeling well?"

"As well as I can be." she replied, smiling back. "What brings you two lovebirds here?"

"Oh--we're not--" I began.

"We're here on account of a man called the Doctor." Sherlock stated, matter-of-factly.

Martha's eyes grew a but wider. "The... Doctor?"

"Yes, have you heard of him?" I asked excitedly.

"Yes, I have. We..." she trailed off, like there was too much to say.

Sherlock sighed, obviously eager to leave. "We were wondering of you happened to remember his number."

"His number?" she asked, slightly confused.

"Right. His phone number," I clarified. "would you happen to know it?"

It seemed like it was getting harder for her to speak, but she answered anyway. "I think it went 077..." she stopped. Sherlock and I expected her to continue, but it was like she had shut down.

"...Martha?" I called out in a whisper. "Are you... awake?" I didn't want to say dead.

In one swift movement, Sherlock grabbed Martha's wrist. "No pulse," he said simply.

I panicked. "Nurse! Margot!" I yelled. She was there in an instant in the doorway, as calm and collected as ever.

"Yes?" she answered.

"We think she's dead--" I said, worry coating my voice.

"Oh, I'm sure she's not." Margot replied, then walked over to Martha's life support machine. But she is! I cried out in my mind. "She probably juct fell aslee--" looking at the machine, here eyes met mine. Now I could see worry in them. "I'll go get a doctor. I'd suggest you'd both leave." she told us in a rushed manner.

Sherlock grabbed me by my arm and in no time we were out on the street again. My mind was wandering somewhere else in shock while Sherlock hailed a cab and led me into the car.

We sat there in silence for a little while until I broke it, snapping out of my thoughts.

"We didn't get his phone number."

Sherlock stayed silent. I tried again,

"We didn't get his phone number." saying it out loud really made the reality sink in. We didn't get his phone number--and now I wouldn't be able to find him.

"Yes, Clara. We didn't." Sherlock responded.

I bent my head down. We were so close. So close to finding out. I felt like I could cry, but I didn't want to. So I just stayed like that--head down, trying to hold back tears--for the rest of the ride.

~~~~~~

Merry Christmas, Boxing Day, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa! (if that's what you celebrate)

For all you FBaWTFT or Newt Scamander fans, I am writing a new fanfic called 'Intangibilium and Invisify' and it is a Newt fanfic. I would love it if you would check it out!

-O