The Runaways

Lilly's Pov

I'm running through the dark streets of New York City wearing an old tattered dress. I'm six years old. I used to be abused by my dad, and my mom passed away, I'm so unhappy with my life.Tears fall down my face as I think about this. Dad used to call me names like slut, bitch, worthless, useless, coward, and more. His beatings were the worst, and I would crawl into the corner covering my face with my hands as he hit me. So much happened last year that I can't even remember, but there were beer bottles all over the house, and I started starving myself, because he called me fat. Did I mention that I'm an extremely small girl? I'm tiny for my age. I need someone to take care of me, look me after me, that's all I'm asking for. "Come on, Lilly!" Brynn says grabbing my hand as we run. We just escaped from the orphanage. When Brynn was taking out the trash, she picked me up, and we climbed over the fence and started running. The orphanage is abusive, they would beat us with the stick if we didn't do our chores right. So I run, and Brynn freezes, and I stop. There's a blonde teenager and a lady that looks to be her mother. "Are you lost?" the mom asks. Brynn nods, and she wraps her arms around me protectively. "It's okay we're not going to hurt you," the teenage girl says. "What kind of parents let their kids wander off at 11 o clock at night," the mom says. "C'mon we'll help you find your family." "No!" I say. "We can't go back!" I say, and Brynn elbows me. "We're fine!" she says. "Just let us go!" "Hey, we're only trying to help," the mom says. "You shouldn't be out here in the city so loud, it's very dangerous. Now where do you live?" Brynn and I look at each other. "The orphanage," Brynn says. "But they hit us there so please don't make us go back or we'll start running right now." "Oh that's terrible. I've heard bad things about the orphanages here, it's okay, come with us, we'll take care of you," the mom says. Brynn and I look at each other, and she nods so we follow them. "Where are you taking us?" I ask. "To our apartment," the mom says. "We'll get this thing sorted out, we won't let you go back there, we know a lawyer." The teenagers smiles at me. "I'm Maya Hart, and this is my mother," she says.

2 months later

Riley says, "Why do we have to sneak out of the house if we're not doing anything wrong until we sneak onto the subway?" Maya says, "You think you're ready to just walk by your parents?" Riley makes a face. Maya says, "Let's go." Maya and Riley climb out of the window. Riley says, "Daddy! What are you doing out here?" Maya says, "Being smarter than me, how come you're always smarter than me?" Her and Riley climb back into the room. Mr. Matthews climbs in window. "Here's what I'm thinking. It's not your world yet. It's still my world. Because if it was your world, Maya would have you on the subway already, thinking you put something over on me. But you didn't. Know how I know? Look at you. You're right here." Riley says, "How long do I have to live in my father's world?" Mr. Matthews says, "Until you make it yours. Riley, do you know what I want more than anything? Go ahead. Make it yours." Riley says, "I will. And when I do, will you still be there for me?" Mrs. Matthews enters, "Right here. We'll be right here." Maya and Riley wave goodbye at Brynn and I as they crawl out of the bay window and into the world.

Brynn who is eleven, and I were adopted by Mrs. Hart, and we're Maya's little sisters. Maya and her best friend Riley are thirteen and in seventh grade, and her mother is a lawyer, and her father, Mr. Matthews is the seventh grade teacher. "Okay girls," Mrs. Matthews says. "Time for school. Are you ready?" Brynn and I look at each other and nod. "Okay girls, get ready to take on the world."