The World

Lilly's pov

Farkle climbs in the room, "Hi, Lilly." I say, "Hi, Farkle. Riley's not home." Farkle says, "So what are you doing sitting in the bay window?" "I just wanted to see if sitting in the window would fix my problems. Riley always sits in the window. But I think it only works for her," I say. Farkle asks, "What happened?" "Auggie said we might not be together forever," I say sadly. Riley and Maya come in. "Okay, who's first?" Riley asks. "I am," Lilly says. Riley looks at me sympathetically. Maya asks, "Farkle, do you have an appointment?" Farkle says, "No, I'm a walk-in." He starts reading a magazine, and Riley sits next to me. I say, "I want to be with Auggie until I die." Riley says, "He doesn't feel the same way?" "He's vague, man. Messin' with my mind!" I say. Riley says, "But it doesn't matter what he says, it matters what he does." Maya says, "Did she actually break up with you?" "No," I say. Auggie then comes in. "Auggie! tell Lilly how she's wrong that you might leave her," Riley says wrapping her arm gently around me. Auggie looks at me. "Lilly, I love you, and I'm not going to leave you," he says. "Thank you Auggie," I say, and we hug and walk out into the living room together. We run into Shawn, who's Riley's "uncle," and he always picks me and Brynn up cause he's fond of us. 

One very special day, I run into the living room with Auggie. "I put a ring on it," he says."What?" Mr. Matthews says. Auggie says, "We're engaged! I say, "Do you Auggie Doggie Matthews, promise for the rest of our lives to never make me feel bad again?" Auggie says, "I do. And do you, Lilly Ruth Hart, promise to care about me and never make me feel bad either? I say, "I do." "No, you don't," Mr. Matthews says. Auggie then kisses me on the cheek.

Mrs. Svorski passed away. She was like a grandmother to me, she donated goods to the orphanage, and always told me and Brynn jokes, but now she's gone. 

Riley makes a speech at the funeral, "The sun doesn't go around the Earth. We are the ones moving. We orbit the sun because we need it. We need its light and its heat. And if it wasn't there, we'd be dark and alone. I wasn't in Mrs. Svorski's orbit for very long, and I missed out on someone wonderful. My brother knew better. He was her very good friend. We think that we are the center of the universe, but the truth is... we need to circle the ones we love for as long as they're here. We need to hold them close, because no matter how far we travel, they are the ones who hold us in place. It's gravity, and without it, we'd just all float away from each other. We are not kings at all. We are just tiny little specs. My name is Riley Matthews from Greenwich Village, New York City, the United States of America, the continent of North America, the western hemisphere, the Earth, the Solar System, the universe, the mind of God. That's from "Our Town", my father's favorite play. Just for a moment, we're all together. Let's really look at one another. Good night, Mrs. Svorski." She then picks me up and pulls me into her lap. I lean against her as tears fall down my face.