Speak up

Lilly's Pov

"We have something to talk about, you and me." Maya says to me the next morning, "I don't like it when we fight." I say. "I'm going to be your sister for the rest of your life. We're gonna have some conflicts along the way. I asks, "What will we do?" Maya says,"We will work them out. We'll always work them out because we're friends. And if things get rough, maybe we'll throw some ice cream at each other, but we'll still be friends because that's what reasonable people do." I say, "So we have no conflict anymore?"Maya says, "No. Now we have a new one. Why wouldn't you come to me? How could you not come to me if someone is bullying you?" How did she find out? I say, "I'm humiliated, Maya. I didn't want to let you see me humiliated." Maya says, "You thought it would just go away?" I say "I'm better now." Maya says, "Oh, yeah. I'm sure you are. That's good Lilly."

I exclaim, "Stop saying stuff like that! People shouldn't tease other people. What did I ever do to you?" I sit up. "I exist. I exist, and I'm weird, I'm fat, I've been stabbed by a pencil and I don't deserve to dance, I'm weak," I start to cry. Riley hugs me. "It's okay, I'm fine," I say. Maya says, "I'm not. How long?"I sob, "For the whole year, this has been going on all year." Maya hugs me tightly and says "Baby, I got you." I say, "I tried dealing with her, Maya. She's not a reasonable person. How do I handle this? I don't know how to handle this." Maya says, "Not alone."

The next week, the principal talked to Alexus, Ari, and Ava. And they walked sulkily away from me not daring to speak to me. But Alexus gave me an evil glare before she left. And I knew more trouble was coming. I went with Maya, Zay, Lucas, and Farkle to cheer Riley on as she was trying out. Lucas says, "I can't believe this, but how much are you rooting for her right now?"Farkle says, "As much as always." Maya says, "Guys, you know how this ends. How could we let it get this far?" Zay says, "Don't you even know your best friend? There's no stopping her."Maya says, "Yes, I know my best friend, and I don't want my best friend to get hurt." Farkle says, "Well, Maya, she's always there for us. It's our turn now. Lucas says, "Yeah, we shouldn't stop her from doing what she wants. We just need to be here when she needs us."Maya says, "You're right. I know you're right. I just... I don't want her to fail." Farkle says, "And if she does, you'll be the first person she wants to put an arm around her." Mayas says, "Okay, I'm not going anywhere." Coach Kelly announces, "This is our choreographed routine that we have perfected over all our years together. Newcomer. Have you learned the steps?""Yes, Coach!" Riley says very loudly. Coach Kelly says, "Wow. I was about to say, "I can't hear ya," but you got me. Okay, places, everybody. The music plays, the cheerleaders perform their routine while Riley tries her best to keep up.  Riley says, ""Riley Matthews?" I'm the only one who made the team?" Maya says, "No, Honey. That's not what that means." Riley says, "Oh. I'm really tired, Maya." Maya says, "I know you are, Riles. You did great. Wanna go home?" 

Riley says, "Yeah." Brynn, Zay, Maya, Riley, Lucas, Farkle and I all wrapped our arms around each other as we walked out of the gymnasium together. Riley did end up being on the cheerleading team..and I focused on my dance, and pretty soon it was nationals.