Chapter 9: Lucius's Father Is WHO?

Ryan was sitting on the steps, allowing Keaton to steer the ship. He held his head in his hands, trying to process this new information. Lucius was Shanks's son. The Red-Hair Shanks. Now that he thought about it, Lucius's resemblance to his father was striking. He took a glance behind at Keaton, wondering if he had put the pieces together. He was staring right back, giving Ryan a look that answered his question. Even so, Ryan quickly turned away.

"There's no doubt about it, is there Keat?" he asks.

Keaton nods. "I'm afraid so. But, how long was the captain going to wait before telling us?"

"I don't know," Ryan shrugs. "He didn't look happy to see him."

Keaton hums, getting lost in thought.

"How come Hattie didn't know?" he asks. "She's closer to the captain than any of us."

"Your guess is as good as mine," Ryan mutters, getting to his feet. He walks over to the side of the ship, and looks out toward the direction of the island they just left.

He had no idea what Lucius was thinking. If he didn't come back, then what would they do? This crew was all he and Ryan had to look forward to. He hears a grunt behind him, and quickly turns his head. Hattie was sitting up, rubbing the back of her neck. Reed was still passed out beside her, the freaking pansy. Ryan narrows his eyes at his sleeping brother before looking over at Hattie. She was letting her eyes adjust, blinking as she stood. She then panics, and looks around for Lucius.

"Lucius?" She calls. Her eyes land on Ryan, and they scorch with rage. "YOU LEFT HIM BEHIND, YOU PIECE OF S**T!"

She drew her swords, but Ryan had rushed forward and grabbed her wrists. She growls, struggling against his strength. He made her look at him.

"He wanted us to leave, Hattie. In that moment we had to trust our captain's judgement. We didn't want to leave him, but what we wanted didn't matter. Lucius will be fine," he tries to assure her.

"YOU DON'T LEAVE YOUR CAPTAIN BEHIND! NO MATTER WHAT!" She screams. "How can you be so sure! That guy is going to kill him!"

"Hattie..." Ryan trails off, looking up at Keaton. He watched silently from the helm.

"Do you know who that man was, Hattie?" Keaton raises his voice for her to hear. She looks up at him, just realizing he was there. Ryan let go of her wrists as she lowered her blades.

"No," she replies. "Do you know?"

"Yes. That was Red-Hair Shanks." Keaton confirms, looking ahead.

"WHAT?!" Hattie drops her swords, gaping at him. "TH-THAT WAS HIM?!"

Keaton nods. "Shanks wouldn't kill him, Hattie, because Lucius is his son."

Hattie stares blankly at him, then busts out laughing. Ryan rolls his eyes.

"That's a funny joke, Kibble! Lucius...Shanks's son...HAHA!" she wipes a tear from her eye.

"Didn't you notice their resemblance? Or the fact that Lucius is a swordsman like him? Coincidence? I don't think so." Ryan adds, crossing his arms and raising a brow at her.

Hattie taps her chin. "I don't get those words."

Ryan groans. "It means because he looks so much like him, and that they're both swordsmen, it's not that hard to put the pieces together and assume that they're father and son!"

Hattie blinks. "What does "ac-sume" mean?"

He kicks the side of the ship, throwing his hands up comically. "WHATEVER! You get everything else I said!"