Chapter Ten: The Ball, Part II (AKA That One Chapter With an Epic Rap Battle)

Alice's POV

George led me through the crowd, heading for a small group of politicians I immediately recognized from their pictures in the history books. Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, Richard Henry Lee, and John Hancock were all standing in a circle talking, and I gripped George's hand tighter, the nervousness getting the best of me.

"Greetings, Gentlemen," George said, and everyone's heads whipped around at the voice. Their mouths dropped open (a very funny sight, let me tell you,) and Lee was the first to break the silence.

"Your excellency! Pleasure to see you again. Long time no see... obvious-LEE." Hancock and Jefferson groaned, and me and Franklin laughed when Lee made one of his infamous puns.

"It absolute-LEE (cue face palms from Jefferson and Hancock) is a pleasure to see you too, Richard. How are things going in Congress?"

"Much better now that we have declared independence from the mother country," Hancock interrupted. "And who is this lovely lady here with you?"

"Oh, this is my escort, who I am currently courting, Lieutenant Colonel Alice Bell." He introduced me, and I gave a little wave.

"An honor to meet men of such a high station as yourselves, sirs. It pleases me to meet men I have heard so much about." I replied, curtsying respectfully.

Doctor Franklin smiled slyly. "Oh really, what have you heard?"

"Hmm, let's start with you. Doc, you're a man of incredible honor, integrity, and a formidable opponent in the field of politics, and you are not afraid to stand up for your own opinion. Mr. Hancock, you are willing to risk everything you have for the sake of the Revolution, and I respect you a lot for that. Mr. Jefferson, you will, and already are, become very valuable to the war effort in the coming years. Just the preamble of your Declaration of Independence shows that you are an honorable and talented man. Mr. Lee, you are an amazing person and a unique human being. Do try to stay that way during the course of your life. General Washington, words cannot begin to describe the awe and respect I feel toward you" I finished with a flourish, and everyone (yes, even George) was looking at me with something akin to awe in their eyes.

"Wow," George summed up what everyone was thinking. "That was impressive."

"Thank you, General. Now, if you will excuse me, gentlemen, I have to find Lieutenant Colonel Paine and Major Tallmadge. A pleasure meeting you all." I said, as I nodded at them. George smiled and let go of my hand, whispering to me that he would come and find me. Grinning, I bounced off into the sea of dresses and suits, searching for my two friends.

Eventually, I found them sitting on a posh looking couch in the corner of the room, talking to a person whom I recognized as Benedict Arnold, the traitor.  Me and Mandy made eye contact with one another, and Mandy gave me a slight smile, then shook her head, glaring slightly at Arnold.

"and this must be Lieutenant Colonel Bell herself! Benedict Arnold, at your service."

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Arnold," I said through gritted teeth.

Mandy's POV

It was like waiting for two nuclear bombs to go off, but which would go off first? I idly wondered, resting my head against Major Tallmadge's shoulder. Alice glared openly at Arnold, and Arnold glared right back, narrowing his eyes at her. Normally, his glare would intimidate the ordinary soldier. But not Alice. I looked on proud-LEE, 

"So," he started. Suddenly, he began... Rapping? Okay then.

(Arnold)
You claim to be the General's girlfriend,
With him until the very end,
But really, in all reality,
Your existence is like a malady!

I really don't know why I started rapping,
I never knew what it was before
But now the beat is going and my foot is tapping,
The door is open and I'm on the floor.

Sure, I have no reason to be here,
'Cuz I'm a British officer,
(Well I guess the author does not care)
But it does advance the plot.

Anyways, that's not why I am doing this
I'm doing this to roast you on a hot plate, as they say,
And to add a nice little plot twist.

(Alice)

They call me the Roast Queen,
the one who goes where nobody has gone in history,
Alice Bell, not a pleasure to meet you,
Please, Lets not make this a thing.
Honestly, your popularity is a mystery!
And I have something to say to you, too:

Well, well, well, Mr. Fake Royalty.
Listen up, 'cuz I'm about to test your loyalty.
Is there any reason you're doing this?
(Well, other than to throw my reputation into a political abyss.)

Now, they were starting to draw a crowd, and they had moved to the middle of the ballroom. George came up front, and laughed alongside Lin when he saw what was going on. A rap battle, of all things! Honestly, it was not shocking at all when Alice, whom all her friends back in the 21st century called the Roast Queen, is involved.

You claim the Brits have your vote,
In reality your whole façade is a hoax!
Nobody has your vote
Other than yourself,
And you should be placed on Hell's shelf.

Alice grinned smugly as she finished, and Arnold scowled at her, as the audience erupted into applause so loud it could probably be heard in China. Lin and I stood up to congratulate her on yet another epic roast, giving her a high five. Arnold's eyes pierced her skin as she turned her back on him, not hearing his last words to her. But, I heard them.

"Alice Bell, I will not forget this."

I shrugged, and the party continued on as usual. Ben and I never saw Alice and General Washington that much; we were too busy dancing, and the same could be said for the other two lovebirds.

At the end of the night, after an exhausting ball and a fun carriage ride home, we said goodnight to everyone and headed back to our tents to undress away from prying eyes.

My life was changing, I realized.

And I loved it.