Chapter Thirty One: Gone

Ali's POV

Flashback

    When I met him for the second time, he looked to the world like a man on a mission.

    "Pardon me, are you Lieutenant Colonel Bell, ma'am?" The voice of the traitor who would go on to betray us asked, and I stiffened, recognizing the man whom I had challenged to a rap battle some time ago at the Adams' Winter Ball.

    "That depends, who's asking?" I shot back, still not acknowledging him. (A/N: IF YOU SANG THIS, I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER! Jk not really but you feel me here, right?)

    "Oh, sure, ma'am. You may remember me from the Celebratory Ball they held in honor of the crossing of the Delaware River. The name's Major General Benedict Arnold." He introduced himself once more, and I could already feel rage inside me. This was one of the men who betrayed my country!

    "I see you're alone," He noted, glancing around. He was right. It was just me right now. George was busy with paperwork, Ben with Culper things, Mandy with horseback riding, and Lin, Alex, and Gilbert were strategizing.

    With a groan, I realized what he was implying. "Don't you dare try to flirt with me, General. I'm sure if I told him, General Washington would not approve of you messing with his intended." I made sure he could see the ring on my finger to emphasize the point, and he immediately backpedaled.

    "Of course, Lieutenant Colonel Bell. I was merely wondering if you would like some company." He raised his eyebrows at me, and I shook my head.

    "Lieutenant Colonel, you would do well to remember who your superiors are. That was an order, not an option." growled Arnold, and I had no verbal response for him.

    My only response was to flip him off, and saunter away.

    "THIS IS NOT OVER!" He roared, and somehow I knew that this would not be the last encounter between us.

Flashback end

    I woke up in a dark room, my eyes still adjusting to the terrible lighting. With a gasp, I realized that I was trapped in chains, and I knew what must've happened.

    The bastard must have kidnapped me.

    I analyzed the event in my mind, trying to find some clear explanation for why I had let my guard down so much. This was Monmouth all over again! Step up your game, Bell!

    But, wait....

    George was there when I -we- were kidnapped, too.

    Oh, shite.

    He was probably locked up, awaiting trial, being tortured, or worse, dead.
    The thought made me even more determined to escape.

    Out of all days to be captured, Simcoe just had to capture me on the day of the battle! Not to mention capturing my soulmate too.

If my knowledge of dystopian science fiction novels proves me right, there are two ways the capture of the main, usually rebellious character can go. One, they can be captured by the government and forced to watch (Maybe even participate) while their best friends are tortured. Or two, they are tortured themselves, with no chance of escape, before being killed.

    Knowing Simcoe and Arnold, they will probably force me through the first option.

    I could only hope that help came soon.

Lafayette's POV

    I strode quickly into Ali's tent (the one she shared with Amanda), and looked around for her. No sign.