Chapter 9

James's Point of View

I may have gone a little overboard. I couldn't have kept that stupid grin off my face as I shopped for food for my little.
As a caregiver I'm embarrassed to admit I'm no great cook. I know how to grill, make mac and cheese, and put together a few simple sides.
I settle on steak, grilled corn and zucchini, and then I get a little crazy.
Two types of pie, three types of whipped cream for the pie(did you know that they sell strawberry whipped cream?), brownies, and a carton of mint chip, just in case.
As I drive the groceries home I can't stop my spinning mind. What if I run out of charcoal for the grill? What if i burn the food? What if she hates steak? What if she hates me?

Charlotte's Point of View

My room is a mess. I've tried on everything I own! I want to look sexy but not easy, mature but not old, fun but not childish. Sure, he seemed to like me fine in my tutu but if I'm going to keep him Im going to have to act my age, right?
Well I have no clue how to use makeup so I work with what I've got. Loose hair, a clean face, and I finally settle on the most grown up clothes I can scrape from my closet.
The high waisted grey pencil skirt almost makes me waddle, the pointy toed heels pinch, and the summery silk blouse reveals how much I'm sweating. But the skirt pulls my tummy in like an 18th century whale bone corset and the blouse gives me deep cleavage. Who cares if I can barely move my legs?
So I try to waddle gracefully across my lawn to James's front door.
I go to knock but the door swings open.
He's in a buttoned down black shirt, dark wash jeans, and bare feet. God I'm sooo overdressed. His hair is messy, there's a smear of bbq sauce on his face, and I think he's blushing!
"I, uh, heard you walking up. Come on in"

James's Point of View

I can't stand it. My baby is in pain, for me. Does she really think I want her to dress like this? Those shoes cannot be comfortable and that skirt looks like some bizarre bondage device. A device too extreme even for my kinky self.
"We'll be on the lawn, you can take off your shoes here"
She looks relieved and she pops them off. I cringe at her squished red toes. I wish I could massage them better.
She follows me obediently as I walk toward the back yard.
The grill is on the patio where the steaks are just finishing up and there's a big pitcher of pink lemonade on a table on the lawn.
"The food will just be a minute. There are drinks and I'll serve shortly"
She glances around, opening and closing her mouth and furrowing two delicate brows.
"What is it sweetie?"
She takes a deep breath and blurts
"Why did you call yourself daddy?"
"Patience" I tuck a piece of silky hair behind her ear "let me get our plates and I'll explain everything"
She sits down slowly, looking at me like she's asking permission. What a good girl.
I move to the far side of the grill, where she can't see the plastic fairy princess plate I'm prepping. It has 4 shallow divided sections where I have chopped strawberries, zucchini, corn cut off the cob, and I cut little bits of steak into a section with a picture of a dancing unicorn.
I decide to dive right in.
"If you eat all of your veggies I bought some pie"