Chapter 1

"Fix it," I growl into the phone.

"I'll try my best Alpha but-" Chase attempts to qualify his answer but that's not the response that I wanted to hear.

My wolf, Najee, growls with anger so I cut him off with a snarl. "I don't want to hear that shit. You'll either fix it or I'll find someone else who will."

I fling the phone onto the floor of the car after I end the call, not bothering to wait for his response.

Najee, a constant presence in the back of my mind, refuses to calm down now that we are no longer on the phone.

Even though she is more than slightly irritated at the moment, I still find comfort in feeling her existence echoing in my head. She is a much welcome part of myself; a distinctive personality giving me advice and comfort since I first shifted at the early age of 4.

"Is there something wrong Ry?" Silas asks over his shoulder as he tries to keep his eyes on the road. I look up to see his eyes flit to mine every couple of seconds as he stares at me through the rear-view mirror.

Najee growls again at the use of a nickname instead of my proper title, but I remind her to calm down. Silas is not only my Beta, but one of my closest friends. He's one of the few people that I allow to refer to me in a casual sense. She's only upset because Chase might not complete the task we assigned him.

We never should have trusted that incompetent fool in the first place. Najee hisses.

"We'll see when we get back," I sigh leaning my head against the cool glass of the window.

"Would you like me to take care of it now?" Deniel murmurs quietly from the passenger seat.

Yes. Najee barks at the suggestion. We can't afford for this to fail.

"Let's see how this plays out first," I reply distractedly, watching the trees grow denser the further we get into the middle of nowhere.

We drift into a comfortable silence, each of us consumed with our own thoughts.

We've been off of the freeway for what seems like hours, taking backroads to navigate onto neutral territory. I shift uncomfortably in my seat, rolling down the back window to sniff outside. I can smell the other wolves. We're getting close.

I remain quiet as we navigate down the private road and pass through the steel gates leading to the Ally House. The 3 story mansion looms in front of us. I gaze up at the mansion as we pull into the driveway. It's big, but not as big as the Pack House back at the Empire. Silas backs in so that we are the first car in a long row of similar looking black SUV's and turns off the car. I glare at the beautiful building through the window as I make no move to leave the confines of the SUV.

I wish I was back home. I mean, home home. Not the cruddy patch of land I was forced to move my pack to once we decided to join The Alliance. I wish I was back at the Empire, wandering around the thousands of acres in the middle of nowhere. I wish I didn't have to worry about rogues, or attacks from other packs, or any of this democratic bullshit. I wish I didn't have to go to these stupid meetings.

I really don't want to go inside. It's going to be nothing but a giant pissing contest between all of the testosterone filled Alphas on the west coast. I mean, I'm an Alpha too, but I don't need to put on a bravado for all of the chumps in that room. I don't need to prove to any of them how tough I am. They already know what I'm capable of. And if they don't...well, I'll teach them real quick.

"Are you ready for this?" Silas asks as he places his hand on his door handle.

"No," I grumble still not attempting to leave the car.