Chapter 15: Dal can be stubborn at times

The walk from the DX to the lot was uneventful, which I was grateful for, and short. I was happy to be back at the lot, which one of our oldest hangout spots, but when we got there I realized that we had nothing to do. We used to always play football here but none of us had thought to bring a ball. Realizing that we need to stay here with nothing to do for next hour since we told Steve and Soda to meet us here, I slowly turned to face the gang. With a sheepish grin on my face, I recommended an activity that we hadn't done in years. 
   "So," I began by dragging out the o sound. "Who's up for a game of truth or dare?" It was a slightly pathetic option but it at least made me sound like I had come here with an idea. Most of the gang shrugged and nodded; they were either to drunk to care (meaning Two-Bit) or they were just content with doing whatever I wanted. The only one who resisted was Dally."
   "I ain't playin' this kiddie game," he said with a scoff.
   "Darry's playin' it," I pointed out. "And he's older than you." Dal shrugged.
   "He doesn't have a rep like mine to keep up." Now I was getting irritated. I loved Dally like a brother but he often drove me crazy when he acted like this. I knew he could be nice but he was too stubborn to let anyone see that side of him when we were outside.
   "Screw your rep," I sassed. "Nobody's gonna think less of you if you play so quit whining like a five year old, sit down, and play the dang game." His icy blue eyes got even colder and he took a menacing step towards me.
   "What'd you say broad," the moment I heard him call me broad, I knew I might have taken it a step to far. Just like I never called him Dallas unless I was mad, he never called me a broad unless he was pissed.
   "Let her be Dal," before I could process what was going on, Johnny was standing protectively in front of me. Looking past Johnny, I saw that Dally had frozen in place. He analyzed the two of us with careful eyes. If anyone besides me or Johnny tried to stand up against him; Dal would have gone ballistic. After a few tense moments, Dally finally sat down and pulled out a cigarette. Noting how they whole gang was staring at him, he snapped and said,
   "What are y'all staring ' at," everyone automatically looked away. "Can we just start the game so we can get it done with." Johnny and I had been the last two standing so we quickly sat down. Both of us were criss-crossed and we were so close that our knees were touching. Looking at each and every member of the gang, I said with a smile,
   "So, who wants to go first."