Chapter 4

We finished our last drink and I watch Lumen staggering on her way out

We finished our last drink and I watch Lumen staggering on her way out. She didn't seem that drunk when we were playing pool. 

The fresh air outside doesn't seem to help any, because when we get to my truck, suddenly she leans against the hood and bends over. 

How much did she actually have? It's not like I was the one buying her drinks. Might be four, might be a lot more, I'm not even sure how much I had. But I can hold my liquor.

"I don't feel so good," is the only thing she says, she doesn't move. 

Merle turns to go back to her, but I keep my distance.

"I can see that. Are you gonna puke?" I ask her.

She doesn't say anything for a moment, then she whimpers, "I don't know, I don't think so." She tries to move and manages to do a couple of steps but her legs don't seem to listen to her and she grabs Merle's arm, as it's the nearest thing she can hold on at the moment. 

He himself is a bit unsteady on his feet but he leads her to the door, chuckling. "Come on, sweetheart, let's get you home."

He puts her between us and she leans against the backrest.

"I knew there is a good reason for why I don't drink. Why is everything spinning?" She shuts her eyes and puts her hand over them as if that would make it all stop. "I'll just close my eyes for a bit." And it's the last thing she says too.

Merle's amused eyes slide from her to me and he's grinning like a fool. "Looks like she's not used to drinking much, huh?"

I start the truck. "She said as much, I don't think she ate anything either." I glance at her, but she seems to be out already. Her head rolled on Merle's shoulder.

When we get to my house Lumen is dead to the world. We try to wake her up but it's impossible. Makes sense I guess, nothing wakes her on days she's sober, now she has alcohol to help.

I nudge Merle. "You were the one bringing her drinks, you drag her ass inside." I don't wait for his reply and go search for something to eat. I didn't have anything either and I'm hungry.

A few moments later I see Merle carrying seemingly lifeless Lumen inside. He gives me an evil eye and turns to her room. Few moments after that I hear a faint sound, like whining, following with quiet, breathless 'no, no', then Merle's shushing her. What the hell is he doing there?! 

I close the fridge and creep to Lumen's room. I stop in my tracks when I see her sprawled on the bed, her shoes off are lying next to it and Merle, who's back is to me, is hovering over her, working on her pants, which are halfway down her thighs already. 

She's trying to look around and seems a bit disoriented. Her eyes land on Merle and her hands grab one of his arms, shaking her head no

He leans in toward her face to look into her tired eyes. They are barely open and it looks like it takes a lot of effort on her part to keep them open. What the-.