Chapter Thirty-Five

Blake's Point of View

As I stretch my back, I brush the back of my hand over my forehead. The built-up perspiration transfers onto my arm which trickles down my skin. I wipe the back of my arm on my pant leg to remove it. The fiery sun beats down uncomfortable, but I push through it. We've got a tight deadline to meet.

"Oi, pass me the bag," a young guy calls out, his head nodding to the large bag of cement behind me.

Putting the automatic nail guy down, I step back and grab the bag. I lift it onto my shoulder and walk the short distance to concrete. He takes the bag from my shoulder and smiles.

"Cheers, man."

"No worries." I half-nod.

I walk back to my post and continue working. My phone vibrates in my back pocket, which captures my attention. I pull out the phone and see Tori's name flashing on the screen. Instead of answering it, I slide the buzzing phone in my pocket and continue working.

Unfortunately, we're running behind on this job. I don't need her distractions while I should be working. Ava's got London at the moment, which makes me doubt this will be an urgent call.

Tori has subtly hinted that she wants to take London on full-time, but I don't like that idea. I worry that she'll go back to how she was before. I don't want to go back to square one, not with another baby to worry about. I want London to be close, where I can protect her.

Grabbing a long piece of wood, I continue to assemble the frame of the house. I'm almost finished blocking out the kitchen for the brickie to come through and start.

One day, I want to build a house for Ava and our children. It's been a long-term dream to build a house by myself or as much as I can. I find a sense of importance providing for my family. With our bub on the way and money constraints, it's a dream I'll have to postpone until later.

I don't regret starting our family early, it's given me a reason to wake up every morning and go to work. Earn money and provide for a family of my own. Ben doesn't get it, I wouldn't have gotten it either until I started experiencing it for myself.

"Rivers, we need to talk," someone yells from a distance.

Looking over my shoulder, I see my father slowly approaching, a grave look on his face. I put the nail gun down and scurry over to him, a confused look sprawled on my face. I look over my station and clothing to see if I've messed up. But I can't see anything wrong.

Dad folds his arms across his chest and frowns at me. I see the sadness pooling into his eyes, which jerks my heart into panic. Balling my fist up, I take a deep breath and try to prepare myself for what's to come.

"What's happening?" I ask.

I see a car pulling up in front of the block, which draws my attention there. As it sits idly, I notice someone in the front seat, Mum. What's she doing here?