Finding a way out

Suzuya kept throwing knives gracefully at everyone, the clowns, the crowd. Yasuko couldn't move, just looked straight down at the stage. She felt dizzy and as if she would suffocate. She couldn't believe that he was there, just a few meters away from her.

When he had said he was assigned to a new case... did him mean the auction?

"Yasuko, go find Big Madam and her guards and go to the little house on the stage. You'll find a way to get out of here." Ayato's voice reached her ears. He himself was looking troubled as the battle unfolded before their eyes.

Yasuko turned and gave him a worried stare. "But I-I can't..." she looked at Suzuya.

If he sees me, I'm screwed.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of him," Ayato assured her.

"Wha-" Had he understand that she was concerned about the investigator?

"Go, now!" He screamed and flew down at the stage, surprising Suzuya. Yasuko was trying to find Big Madam, who was staring at Juuzou. Her expression was kind of nostalgic, but she had no idea why. Did they know each other?

I have no time for that. I have to find a way out, now that Juuzou isn't looking at me.

She glanced at the stage for one last time to make sure Ayato had him occupied, and turned at Big Madam. She had already grouped with her guards who were now trying to leave the auction hall. She ran towards them.

"Big Madam!" She shouted. They all turned at her. "I'll get you out of here!"

"Ya-Yasuko? Is that you?" Big Madam asked her surpised and smiled. Yasuko nodded.

"We have no time for small talk, let's go."

*****

Ayato and Suzuya's fight now took place all over the auction hall, and Yasuko was able to take Big Madam and her guards to the little house on the stage, just as Ayato had told her to, which turned out to lead to an underground hall. And unsurprisingly, they weren't the only ghouls there. Most of the auctioneers had gathered there, trying to get out before the Doves found them.

"I don't care what others say, this place isn't safe. The investigators will find out about it and it will be too late," Yasuko explained. "We have to move forward."

"We trust you Yasuko," Big Madam said.

"Ok then, let's go."

They had been walking for almost an hour, going deeper and deeper into the tunnel. They had passed all the other ghouls and now were alone. And thankfully, there were no signs of Doves anywhere.

Maybe we'll get out of here after all.

But she had spoken too soon. Her developed hearing let her hear the sound of screams. She turned to the others.

"It comes from behind us. The CCG has found out about the tunnel." She paused and tried to listen carefully. "They're quite far from us, but once they're done slaughtering the ones there, they'll come here. We don't have a lot of time."

Big Madam turned at her guards. "You take Yasuko and move forward. I'll stay here and take care of them."

"No! I have to stay with you. I was told to take care of you. If we separate, I'll stay with you."

"You're stubborn," Big Madam murmured and caressed Yasuko's cheek. "Just like your mother." Yasuko smiled. "Ok, you go alone. Yasuko will stay with me." She turned at the short girl again. "Let's kick some asses."